Windows 10 I used to have an ethernet cable running to my gateway from my pc.I recently moved something and noa

Peterr

Fantastic Member
Hello
I was used to running my ethernet cable from the desktop to the gateway. I recently moved something and noticed although I was getting internet, the cable as not plugged in to the computer.
Is the reason I had internet because I was getting it wirelessly and with it plugged in I get it now via ethernet?
Thank you

If you're getting internet at least one of the connections (wireless or wired) would need to be active. Typing ipconfig should tell you the "media state" for each known interface.

Perhaps; are you using a laptop? Or a desktop PC with a USB Wi-Fi plug in adapter? If so, that would make sense. If you wouldn't mind posting your Make/Model of your PC and whether or not it's a desktop or a laptop we can look it up and tell you what the key-combo is to enable/disable your Wi-Fi if on a laptop, or whether there is a small slide switch used to turn on/off your Wi-Fi on the laptop. This slide-switch is usually found on the left-side, front-side, or right-side edge of the laptop and on my 8 year old Sony laptop it often gets turned off when I disconnect it from my TV and take it with me in my travel bag.

Here's a picture of a laptop with a Wi-Fi slide on/off switch: laptop wi-fi slide switch - Bing images

Let us know how it goes.:)
<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

I have a desktop and a laptop. I usually use the laptop wirelessly and the desktop with the ethernet cable. I discovered the ethernet cable from the gateway to the desktop was not connected but I was online. The desktop is a Dell XPS 8300.
Typically one ethernet cable runs from the gateway to the desktop and another ethernet cable runs from the gateway to the printer.
Finding the cable to the desktop not connected but still being online is what threw me.

As I originally stated it seemed odd that I got internet whether my desktop was or was not connected to my Gateway with an ethernet cable.

If the wired connection was the only one available on the system and it was unplugged, it would impossible to have Internet access. You could however view web pages that had been cached locally.

Hiya Peter;
Thanks for posting back your computer information. The last 3 or 4 years, Dell has been incorporating Wi-Fi embedded adapter chips on many of their desktop PCs (as has HP, Acer/Gateway, etc.). This is not really a well-known fact that home users seem to be unaware of. Doing a quick search on your computer, the Dell XPS 8300, this link clearly shows that the Wi-Fi feature is optional, so it depends on where you purchased it from such as online store or a retail store such as Best Buy or Walmart, etc.

It's very likely that your XPS 8300 came with this optional Wi-Fi adapter built-in. Very often, retailers won't charge much more for a PC that has the built-in Wi-Fi versus one without--it's often only a $30 price difference. Here's that link to the specs on your computer model on the Dell website:
XPS 8300 | Dell

You can upload the diagnostic info in neem's Post #5, and you can also check your Device Manager under Network Adapters to see if the Wi-Fi built-in adapter is listed and enabled. Chances are, it is since you were able to get Internet with your Ethernet cable disconnected.

P.S. I just setup a brand new Dell Inspiron 3650 last week that a Customer of mine bought at Best Buy, and indeed it had it's own 802.11n Wi-Fi embedded adapter in it--which made it quite convenient to connect it to her Wi-Fi network without having to purchase a USB Wi-Fi adapter stick.:teeth:

Best,:lightbulb:
<<<BBJ>>>

Hello
I must be one of the machines with WiFi because although I did post 5's download and extraction; 1st I could not really understand it and did not want it publicly displayed so did not paste it online.
2nd I was plugged in so the test was not valid.

So I did he acid test and unplugged the ethernet cable from the PC and am surfing the internet. That does seem to confirm I have a wireless enabled PC or whatever the terms are that allow me to run on WiFi ?
However, I use the ethernet cable for security if that in fact it does increase security.
Thanks for your help.

Hi again Peter,
Yup. That's our assessment too. And yes, using the Ethernet cable does provide a much higher level of security, as you don't have to worry about war-drivers sitting out in front of your home or apartment trying to break into your computer via a Wi-Fi signal, encrypted or not.;) Bear in mind though, that if someone really wants to crack your network security and get into your computer, it can be done.:nerves:Law enforcement agencies have had the tools for over a decade.
Fortunately, criminals have restricted use and knowledge there. But, for $30k or so a criminal could pick up a sniffer and hang it on either your telephone line *if your Internet is DSL/ADSL*, or *Coax broadband*. If you are concerned about that, and you see any guys hanging off of your telephone pole by your house or digging up the street in front or behind your house you might want to approach them and ask them what they are doingo_O. I've done this on occasion at my house as well as Customer houses too. If they appear nervous and jerky and don't give me a solid explanation, I give the local PD a call and have them do a drive by.:D Their physical presence will usually scare off most criminals. Since I worked for like 4 different phone companies/ISPs, I know what information they should be giving me if they are legit. If not, I call in the local PD and let them handle it like I said. 99% of the time they are legit.:encouragement: But, there have been a couple of times things looked a little hinky so I reported them. In one case, as soon as a patrol car rolled up, the guy disappeared in a cloud of dust!!:eek:

Cheers!
BBJ

The thing that concerns me is that if you never used the PC wireless how are you connecting to the AP. Make sure you do not have an open wireless network.
Possible guest network with no passphrase.

Last edited:
You can also look in C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Wlansvc\Profiles\Interfaces\{Interface-GUID}\
There will be a GUID for each interface so you just have to look at them
In this folder will be an XML file for each network you have connected to and you can tell if it's set to auto connect

This part tells you if it's manual or auto connection
<connectionType>ESS</connectionType>
<connectionMode>auto</connectionMode>

After 5 1/2 years I find I have a wireless desktop. I guess I have a way to go. Thank you for all.

Back
Top Bottom