Windows 8 How can I share wireless internet with an ethernet cable?

coletrain

With windows 7 i was able to do this by going to network settings and all of that and had no issues. Now with windows 8 I plug in my cable but it says the device is an unidentified network an I cannot figure out how to alter these settings. Thanks.

Solution
When you encounter an "Unidentified Network" issue in Windows 8, it typically indicates that the network you've connected to is not recognized, which can restrict access to certain network resources. To resolve this problem, you can try the following steps:

Troubleshooting Steps for "Unidentified Network" Issue in Windows 8:​

1. Reset Network Adapter:
    • Right-click on the network icon in the system tray.
    • Select "Open Network and Sharing Center."
    • Click on "Change adapter settings" in the left pane.
    • Right-click on your network adapter and choose "Disable."
    • After a few seconds, right-click on it again and select "Enable."
    []Set Network Location:
    • When you connect to a new network, Windows...
When you encounter an "Unidentified Network" issue in Windows 8, it typically indicates that the network you've connected to is not recognized, which can restrict access to certain network resources. To resolve this problem, you can try the following steps:

Troubleshooting Steps for "Unidentified Network" Issue in Windows 8:​

1. Reset Network Adapter:
    • Right-click on the network icon in the system tray.
    • Select "Open Network and Sharing Center."
    • Click on "Change adapter settings" in the left pane.
    • Right-click on your network adapter and choose "Disable."
    • After a few seconds, right-click on it again and select "Enable."
    []Set Network Location:
    • When you connect to a new network, Windows 8 asks you to set a network location. Ensure you choose "Home," "Work," or "Public."
    • Go to the "Network and Sharing Center" and click on the network name to change the location.
    [
    ]Update Network Drivers:
    • Outdated network drivers can cause network connectivity issues. Update your network adapter driver to the latest version.
    • Go to the device manager, find your network adapter, right-click, and select "Update driver."
    []Check Network Settings:
    • Ensure that network discovery is turned on. Go to "Control Panel" > "Network and Sharing Center" > "Change advanced sharing settings."
    [
    ]Reset TCP/IP Stack:
    • Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
    • Type the following commands one by one:
      Code:
       netsh int ip reset netsh winsock reset
  2. Restart Network Services:
    • Open Command Prompt as an administrator.
    • Type the following commands:
      Code:
       ipconfig /release ipconfig /renew
      After performing these steps, restart your computer and check if the issue persists. If you continue to face the problem, there may be more advanced troubleshooting required, such as checking firewall settings or running network diagnostics. Keep in mind that Windows 8 is an older operating system version, so if you're facing persistent network issues, considering upgrading to a more recent version like Windows 10 for better support and security updates.

Solution
Back