I want Windows 8 and XP on the same HDD.

Legna

I currently have Windoes 8.1 installed. I want to add Windows XP and be able to choose between the two at boot up. How should I go about installing Windows XP?

ussnorway

Windows Forum Team
Staff member
Premium Supporter
I currently have Windoes 8.1 installed. I want to add Windows XP and be able to choose between the two at boot up. How should I go about installing Windows XP?
You don't put XP and 8.1 on the same drive mate, they just are too different to get along... you can have XP as a V-os installed on vmware player which will give you the graphocs card or on hyper-v which is much better at dishing out the ram/ cpu to do a task but doesn't allow access to the g-card.

Another option is multiboot where XP and 8.1 are each on a different hdd... that is do'able but I've found that the 8.1 still has boot issues when I tried it (was a while back) so I still don't recommend it.

Legna

You are correct. I just found out that these two don't get along. Meh...

OTT

As ussnorway said...

I run XP in VirtualBox and it's superfast on modern hardware !

OTT

Legna

As ussnorway said...

I run XP in VirtualBox and it's superfast on modern hardware !

OTT
Holy crap!! This is REALLY convenient! Thanks for mentioning VirtualBox!

Legna

Hey guys, how do I get that top menu to show up on XP when I load it up in VirtualBox?

OTT

It's in the "Settings - General - Advanced" and then it's just a mather of setting the view right in your VM, fullscreen but not auto resize works best for me...

OTT

Legna

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

OTT

You're welcome !

OTT

if your hard drive is partitioned you can have more than 1 os on your hard drive. That is you can install one os on one partition and install another os on the other partition.

This website is not affiliated, owned, or endorsed by Microsoft Corporation. It is a member of the Microsoft Partner Program.