I will not be buying Windows 8...

I'm just as excited about Windows 8 as Drew, we have one difference of opinion in regards to the upcoming OS, but we're not going to allow that to come between us. While I do believe that Windows 7 is a really great OS, which hasn't really peaked yet, I do like to move forward when things are looking good.

While I'll continue to run Windows 7 on my much more powerful notebook that's a little over a year old, my HP desktop that shipped with Windows 7 is a low-spec one. It has benefited greatly from the exceptional power management (especially CPU) that Windows 8 CP & RP has offered. Which I'll be obtaining about a month after release, around the same timeframe that I bought this desktop (Nov 2009).

So in the end, I'll have the best of both worlds. Keep the stable proven OS on my notebook, the latest on my desktop. Hopefully the lowered CPU requirements will allow the PC to last until Windows 9, assuming that's the name of the OS to be released in 2015.

Cat

I hate to burst your bubble but, actually, there are lots of ppl who are excited about it. And, actually, I'm not excited, just interested & needing to know it, w/ an open mind, so I can support my clients & customers.

The fish was gone after the CP. Now, simply Windows. Ya reckon the RTM will be a white elephant?

Hmmm, still, discussing Win8 (that y'all hate & see as a lame duck) and in a Win7 forum... very in-ter-est-ting (teehee)

Cheeers,
Drew

I continue to be very interested in the continued development concerning Windows 8. However, we must also be tolerant and understanding of the consumer and, in many cases, end-user's interpretation of the new features that are being introduced. There are many people who remain suspicions over why these drastic changes are being made to the graphical user interface on the desktop, and whether or not they actually benefit desktop users to a large extent.

However, my goal is not to continue this dissection of differences. It is, however, my goal, to impart a sense of commonality with each other. I truly believe that were we all sitting in the same room, that we would find the same number of things in common with each other as differences.

Windows 8 could turn out to RTM as a divisive issue for desktop and workstation users. If this is the case, the concept of planned obsolescence will be brought up again and again, until consumer concerns are hopefully address in Service Pack 1. At this time, this discussion is mere opinion and hearsay. However, it does behoove us, as members of the forum, to take into account all differences of opinion, including yours, Drew.

With that being said, we can find common ground on these forums. Many of us have found Windows 7 to be a liberating experience, in comparison to prior versions of Windows. As we continue to monitor closely the leaked information about Windows 8, we are still left until July, August, or perhaps even September at the latest for the final RTM ("release-to-manufacturer") bits to arrive on the scene.

If there does become a love/hate relationship with this version of Windows for the majority of consumers, this will become an enormous problem for Microsoft, and for consumers in general, who may face the prospect of planned obsolescence in the marketplace. We know that Microsoft is not a evil corporation, but the work that they produce and introduce as a corporation is designed to drive profit margins for their investors. If the profit motive has been instrumental in the development of Windows 8 - for other devices like tablets and phones, many consumer desktop users will be concerned. Admittedly, these "consumer desktop users" would be immediately disenfranchised by having to switch back and forth from the desktop to a touch-screen user interface.

Thus, we are in a pickle. We have to see what Microsoft rolls out as its final iteration, and whether or not public approval will go in their direction or not. Certainly, many people will be pleased to stay with Windows 7, whilst others will move quickly to a Windows 8 migration. The cost of adoption for mid-to-large corporations could be enormous if server administrators are not prepared for Server 8 and the new Active Directory/Group Policy for the Start Screen. Further chaos will ensue due to these failures. Adoption rates will slow if Windows 8 becomes perceived negatively in the media.

There are many variables at play, but the final variable will be personal preference and whether or not one appreciates the new UI or not. That variable will be the one to define the whirlwind of controversy already beginning to surround Windows 8. I continue to try to remain neutral for now, and reserve opinions for a later time.

But, with that being said,

It is OK to discuss Windows 8 on this site.
It is preferred that these discussions take place on Windows8Forums.com.
We are looking into find a way to resolve that for you (next team meeting).
There are many other Windows 8 resources to use, but we will not turn anyone away for disagreeing with a OS upgrade.

Our conduct and personal behavior towards each other is much more important than what happens over the next few years with Windows. We often times forget that, we, as human beings, do exist behind every computer screen. Thus, I please ask that we continue to maintain an atmosphere of civility and self-discipline, even in the face of irreconcilable differences of opinion. I remind you that these opinions are subjective - until testing reveals the advantages and disadvantages of this new system and framework.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well if you don't mind having a GUI that looks like it was designed by Fisher-Price, go for it. Windows 7 looks more professional to me.

I'll definitely be buying Windows 8. At first, I didn't really like the new interface. But the more you use Windows 8, the more you actually start to like it. I call this phenomenon 'the Facebook-effect'. Based on how everybody hates Facebook when they change the layout, yet not long after people are actually liking it better than the old layout.

Ride on! I'm sure we'll see more & more of this as ppl give the new OS a chance & some time & allow themselves to see beyond the Start screen & to realize there is between it or Desktop.

There is, actually a lot of good points to & w/in Windows8.

Cheers,
Drew

If it were not for Classic Shell I would have stayed with Win xp. Classic shell has made win 7 functional enough for me to use but I miss the excellent XP search filters and Classic menu option. As for Win 8 I would not even think even if it were free to install it on my PC. The trend to make things less intuitive started with the HORRID RIBBON interface and moved on to Win7 start menu and search. Now MS is giving us a FISHER PRICE DESIGNED OS that is an insult to people who use their PCs for anything other than Facebook etc.

INTUITION is the keyword here. Win 8 is basically a "Hide and seek" OS that does not like people to think. Win 7 search is a JOKE! Search filters only work on the generic folders and not on my folders.

MS redesigns their OS just for the sake of giving the public something new at the expense of intuition and functionality.

I really don't care so long as MS were not a MONOPOLY. We users have almost no choice as many of my professional software will only run on windows.

I PRAY that win 8 will go the way of WIN ME!

METRO..... What a joke!

Now we know why Windows 8 is purely a tablet based OS ported over to PCs. MS is concentrating on the Tablets market and is turning her back on PCs. Basically what MS is saying is "PC users can stay with Win7".

If it were not for Classic Shell I would have stayed with Win xp. Classic shell has made win 7 functional enough for me to use but I miss the excellent XP search filters and Classic menu option.

SKIP

Win 7 search is a JOKE! Search filters only work on the generic folders and not on my folders.

I hear ya ... you might give FileSearchEX a try ... it's getting there.

Regarding Windows 8 ... I think it will be awesome on tablets, which as you've stated further down, is what it is all about. Windows 7 will be around for another 10 years; I'll be good for creative/productive types who use 24" displays and the like.

That is simply not true. A primary design goal w/ Win8 was to have an OS that served multiple devices, phones, tablets AND PCS & laptops.

The truth is Windows8 works very nicely on non-touch, conventional computers.

That is not being said or even, implied, @ all. ( "PC users can stay with Win7". )

Cheers,
Drew

We shall stick with win7 and see how many PC users adopt this FISHER PRICE designed OS! My PC is too valuable to turn it into a smart phone! :)

Just a taste of the current flavor of the Microsoft Kool-Aid.
"Windows 8 is a bold new bet, and it's a generational change in Windows," said Antoine Leblond, corporate vice president of Windows Web Services. "Windows 8 first and foremost is a better Windows than Windows 7."
You can choose to believe that or not.

Leblond said Windows 7 is the last in a line of OSes that began with Windows 95, designed primarily for desktop PCs that are always connected to a power source and act as the main repository for users' applications, data and content.
On the other hand, Windows 8 is designed for the world's shift to mobile devices that run on batteries and to applications and content that live dispersed in a variety of web sites and must be constantly available.

SOURCE: Microsoft tries to promote Windows 8 without hurting Windows 7 sales | ITworld

I have played with the thing since the beginning. The CP version worked very well but the RT version has some bugs. Nevertheless, I can easily navigate in Windows8 and have no trouble doing what I want to do. My problem is different: Where is the beef ?? -

I really do not see anything new and exciting (for the desktop user) that would incent me to spend money on the thing. So why change.

There is no obligation to change, be it in October or sometime down the road. There may well come a time for various people to be on Win8 just cus the cycle continues or something makes it timely or inevitable (1st computer or need a new 1).

Though, 8 is easy & convenient to use & on the surface much seems similar to the past. There's some 'neat' stuff, feature-wise, about it but, much of the good/better stuff is under-the-covers & technical stuff. There are performance benefits reaped from this but, nothing says one must change immediately.

Cheers,
Drew

There is, certainly, not obligation to move to Windows8, @ this time. But, would you, please, define "junky"; very curious/interested to know what you mean by that.

Cheers,
Drew

Back
Top Bottom