Windows 7 Icons "bleed" from one app to another on the taskbar

heldal

I have a (seemingly increasing) problem where the taskbar uses the wrong icons for my applications. Simply, grouped windows from an application where the icons differ show only one of the icons (naturally), but the other(s) "bleeds" to totally different applications. I've attached a screenshot showing the problem.

This becomes very annoying when not showing window titles in the taskbar, as I have no idea which app I'm selecting.

I have Windows 7 Professional 64bit, version 6.1 (build 7600). I don't have any bling installed (I'm a developer and this is my work laptop).

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

win7_taskbar_icon_bug.png

Just a thought, i haven't seen a situation like this but i've heard that some windows themes tend to cause a few issues

try going and changing your theme settings and see if that helps

best of luck.

I'm sorry.
I'm not quite grasping what your problem is.
Can you please highlight it / point to it in your image, using mspaint.exe and re-attach it to a post.

In the first picture, the application "Spotify" has received the icon of "Lotus Notes". The problem has now changed as shown in the next screenshot, attached to this post, where Adobe Reader has received the icon of "Spotify".

Note that this problem happens regardless of wheter the Spotify app is open or not (so that's not where the problem lies).

win7_taskbar_icon_bug_2.png

I've got to admit this is a weird one!

A couple of things to try:

1. Delete your Thumbcache files with the Disk Cleanup Utility (Press Start, (My) Computer, Right click C: Drive (your Main or System Drive), Properties, Click on the Disk Clean Up button). Thumbnails is one of the options you can choose to clean up.

Then delete your (hidden) IconCache.db which you'll find in your C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local folder.

Finally re-start. See if that cures it.

2. Try, for now, uninstalling Spotify. Repeat the above. See if your taskbar icons stay as they should do now.

Back