IE 10 and other browsers

billyc99

Honorable Member
Not sure what is going on here. I had firefox running and suddenly this browser has taken a turn for the worse...adverts up the ying yang. Now it appears I have lost functionality of Windows IE9 browser. Browser says I have IE10 installed...I hit the home icon and I am taken to Firefox. What gives. I had some big problems last night. Spent several hours deleting programs that seemed to install themselves. I used Malwarebytes to remove the offending programs. I am looking at what I thought was IE10 but it looks nothing like I am used to seeing. I am unable to go to my old Homepage MyMSN. I can't figure it out. Below is what my PC is running and has installed.

Operating System
Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 (build 7601)
Install Language: English (United States)
System Locale: English (United States)
Installed: 5/9/2013 9:21:52 PM
Processor a
2.40 gigahertz AMD Phenom 9750 Quad-Core
256 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded
Drives
2160.43 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
1942.04 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI iHES208 2 ATA Device [Optical drive]
SONY DVD RW DRU-V200A ATA Device [Optical drive]
TDK DVDRW1280B ATA Device [Optical drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

Sony USB HS-CF Card USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 5
Sony USB HS-MS Card USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 7
Sony USB HS-SD Card USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 8
Sony USB HS-xD/SM USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 6
USB2.0 CardReader CF RW USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 3
USB2.0 CardReader Combo USB Device [Hard drive] -- drive 4
WD 1600JB External USB Device [Hard drive] (160.04 GB) -- drive 1
WDC WD10 EARS-00Y5B1 USB Device [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 2, s/n 152D20337A0C
WDC WD10EARS-22Y5B1 [Hard drive] (1000.20 GB) -- drive 0, s/n WD-WCAV5J478071, rev 80.00A80, SMART Status: Healthy
Users(mouse over user name for details)
local user accounts
last logon

clip_image002.gif
Bill
8/31/2013 4:38:16 PM
(admin)
clip_image002.gif
UpdatusUser
8/31/2013 9:13:37 AM
local system accounts
clip_image003.gif
Administrator
7/14/2009 1:53:58 PM
(admin)
clip_image003.gif
never
clip_image003.gif
Marks a disabled account;
clip_image004.gif
Marks a locked account
Controllers
Standard floppy disk controller
ATA Channel 0 [Controller] (2x)
ATA Channel 1 [Controller] (2x)
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (2x)
Bus Adapters
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller (2x)
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (5x)
VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller (2x)
VIA USB Enhanced Host Controller
Virus Protection[Back to Top]
AVG AntiVirus Free Edition 2013
Communications

Microsoft ISATAP Adapter
↓ Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Cable unplugged
Dhcp Server:
none responded
Physical Address:
1C:6F:65:44:A9:2C
↑ Realtek RTL8188SU Wireless LAN 802.11n USB 2.0 Network Adapter
primary
Auto IP Address:
192.168.1.4 / 24
Gateway:
Dhcp Server:
Physical Address:
00:13:33:AE:3D:7D
Connection Speed:
54 Mbps
↑ TAP-Windows Adapter V9
Auto IP Address:
10.200.2.47 / 22
Dhcp Server:
Physical Address:
00:FF:AE:E1:5F:AA
Connection Speed:
10 Mbps
Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Networking Dns Servers:
USB Storage Use in past 30 Days (mouse over last used for details)
Last Used
Sony USB HS-SD Card -- drive 8, s/n 00000013AB01, rev 5.23
8/31/2013 9:10:59 AM
Sony USB HS-CF Card -- drive 5, s/n 00000013AB01, rev 5.23
8/31/2013 9:10:58 AM
Sony USB HS-MS Card -- drive 7, s/n 00000013AB01, rev 5.23
Sony USB HS-xD/SM -- drive 6, s/n 00000013AB01, rev 5.23
USB2.0 CardReader CF RW -- drive 3, s/n 698207856244, rev 0.0>
8/31/2013 9:10:57 AM
USB2.0 CardReader Combo -- drive 4, s/n 698207856244, rev 0.0>
WDC WD10 EARS-00Y5B1 -- drive 2, s/n 000001D91CA0
WD 1600JB External -- drive 1, s/n WD-WCANM6931718, rev 0107
8/31/2013 9:10:54 AM
Hitachi HTS545050B9A300, s/n 090906B44007
8/30/2013 6:54:29 PM*
* Possibly used again before the reboot following this time.

1. quote...I have lost functionality of Windows IE9 browser. Browser says I have IE10 installed................
questions :
a. Do you have your Windows Update set at Automatic? If yes, that would explain why IE10 was installed without your knowledge. You might want to consider changing the Windows Update setting to Manual.
b. Open your IE > click Help > click About Internet Explorer > which IE version does it show, IE9 or IE10?

2. quote.... I am looking at what I thought was IE10 but it looks nothing like I am used to seeing..............
Would you please elaborate? What did you see that you never saw before?
Could you post a screenshot of using IE10?

3. quote .....I used Malwarebytes to remove the offending programs.......
Just to make sure we are using the same terminology.
Malwarebytes is for removing malwares.
Programs and Features application is for removing programs that were installed (with or without your knowledge).
P.S. You might want to go to Safe Mode and run a full scan with Malwarebytes again. To make sure the machine is now clean.

4. quote....I hit the home icon and I am taken to Firefox. What gives........................
Is FF set as your default browser?

5. quote........I am unable to go to my old Homepage MyMSN............
The following is to set MyMSN as your default home page:
Open your browser > search box, type MyMSN Sign In > click Sign In >
are you now in MSN web page? if yes > at the top, click Tools > click Internet Options > at General tab, under Home Page, click Use Current.

Hope that will help you a bit.

Last edited:
David, thanks so much.
1&2. I now have the old MyMSN back with all of the same properties. I am indeed running IE10. I unchecked the box for auto download of newest browser though.
3. You are correct I was unclear on my explanation. I used the malwarebytes to remove malware, I then went into control panel> Programs and removed a few programs that had installed themselves when I downloaded Belarc Advisor.
4. I had mistakenly set FF as a default browser as I was ticked off at M$ for some reason...maybe it was the adult beverage I was drinking at the time.
5. See #1&2 above.
Again, thank you for your help and suggestions. Seems that I am up and running again. Looking for another recommendation; as I an using the Free Malwarebytes Anti-malware program, do you recommend I purchase the full version or stick with the free. Upon opening the program I receive a message telling me I have 7 days remaining of the Trial Version.

I have been using Malwarebytes free edition for 3 years now.
My computer is for home, personal use only. Free edition version appears to do the job for me.

If you are using the computer for work, then, perhaps, a paid version is in order.

There are 2 versions of Malwarebytes. A free version and a paid version.
I don't think you are using the "free version". I think you are using the "trial" version. That is why you received that reminder notice.
(I never did and I use the free version.)

Should you decide to use the free version, go to Programs and Features > uninstall malwarebytes.
Here is the link to install the FREE version......
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free/

quote........ I am indeed running IE10. I unchecked the box for auto download of newest browser though.

That is not what I meant by changing Windows Update to Manual.
Your Windows Update can be set to .......
1. automatically download and install updates, or
2. you decide which you want to install and you do so manually.

go to Start > in the search box, type windows update > Enter > left side, click Change settings > under Important updates, click the pointer at far right > here is the list of options. You decide which one you want.
I chose the 2nd one... download but let me decide whether to install or not.

Great information, thank you. Yes, I am using the trial version of Malwarebytes...I will check out your suggestion as this PC is not used for work. I also found the Adblocker (free) for IE10 at Cnet.com downloads. I was at first wary of downloading...it seems that I have recently had some bad experiences in downloading programs. I did downloaded, following/reading all of the instructions carefully, taking care not to install their toolbars etc. Running smoothly now. Thank you for all of your help.

The active protection on Malwarebytes will mean that threats are intercepted before they make their way into your system. This real-time protection is available with the pro version. Malwarebytes is NOT a stand-alone anti-virus, but it is the world standard for anti-malware and anti-spyware activity. It is great supplemental protection for a security suite. If you commonly have these problems, and are worried about dataloss, I would seriously take a look at offerings from ESET or Kaspersky.

These type of browser hijacking techniques have become all too common and are the result of malicious websites taking advantage of the browser. With that being said, you are sadly, probably far safer using Firefox or Chrome to browse the web than to use IE.

Truly appreciate your input Mike. I do have AVG Anti-virus, Free Version installed. This is my home PC, I don't bring any of my work home with me. I work for the US Navy, civilian, not active duty Military. Therefore bringing work home is not an option. Tight security regulations etc.

The annoyance that the malware gives me here at home is enough to make me put the money up for the Pro version. I just completed a scan and Malwarebytes found 165 malicious threats. The threats all seem to have the same thing in common; vendor indicates the following: Pup.DealPly and Pup.Optional.DealPly.A. Will investigate these guys through Google and see what comes up.

May try using FF again. Used Chrome and was hijacked once so installed a program called Browser Protect (Free).

Again, I thank all of you for your help and support. I've been a member of this forum since 2009 and have not been active in the past couple of years. Looking at retirement soon, so you young folks will be seeing more of me.

Great information, thank you. Yes, I am using the trial version of Malwarebytes...I will check out your suggestion as this PC is not used for work. I also found the Adblocker (free) for IE10 at Cnet.com downloads. I was at first wary of downloading...it seems that I have recently had some bad experiences in downloading programs. I did downloaded, following/reading all of the instructions carefully, taking care not to install their toolbars etc. Running smoothly now. Thank you for all of your help.

This is what I do........
I have MSE ( microsoft security essentials) and it is my Real Time protection.
Real Time protection means it starts working the moment I turn on my computer.

I use the Malwarebytes free edition as my "on demand" protection.
On Demand protection means it does not start working until I manually turn it on.

And I run malwarebytes regularly, about once a week.
Create a restore point after scanning which gives me a safe "roll back" date if I need to do a system restore.

P.S. Malwarebytes free edition does NOT have real time protection option.
Please refer to the download link I gave you and see the comparison chart between the free edtion and the pro edition.

Last edited:
I checked the link and made the comparisons. I have opted for the Pro version...maybe because I am lazy. I did indeed Google the PUP.DealPly malicious software. From the descriptions provided for this Malware, I am really glad that I came back to WindowsForums to get some good answers. I've always received great feedback from this forum. All of the Moderators, Administrators, and Active members who provide answers to issues are doing a great job. I, for one and I know there are many more users, appreciate the support. BZ to all.

I use Malwarebytes regularly, but not the Paid version any longer, because the real time protection caused some problems for me. The free version works just as good, assuming that you remember to use it.

Back