Windows 7 IE broken, Windows Mail gone-any ideas???

I'd like to help but I don't seem to have windows mail on my install but I do have windows live mail which I installed aftwerwards with windows live messenger ?

that exe is buried in "yourdrive*\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe"

I think any search for WM will bring up windows media player ?

what where you saying about I.E. ?

Do you mean Windows Media Player, as Windows Mail does not work in this preview

What error message do you get when you try to bring up IE?

It seems that Windows Mail, and WinMail.exe is removed in W7, because they want you to use Windows Live
Thunderbird works well!!!

Yes, that's right, Windows Mail, is just disabled in the preview version

I'm sure it will be back when 7 is released.

It's still in the C:\Program Files\Windows Mail\winmail.exe, but double-clicking on it does nothing.

No, I was wrong, look at post @11

I'm using Thunderbird for email: it seems crazy to omit an email handler to try to force users into Windows Live!!!

I got IE to work by re ticking "obtain IP address automatically-even tho it was ticked already

I'm using Thunderbird for email: it seems crazy to omit an email handler to try to force users into Windows Live!!!

I got IE to work by re ticking "obtain IP address automatically-even tho it was ticked already

or you could view it that microsoft are making some concessions to allow third parties a fair market ?

Opera and Mozilla SeaMonkey both have e-mail clients built into their browsers. Either should work. I am using Opera 10 Alpha in W7b. Haven't tried SeaMonkey in W7b. Haven't tried the Opera 10 Alpha e-mail client either.

I do use the SeaMonkey e-mail client in Windows XP as my only e-mail client (I also use web-mail access to my e-mail at my ISP when I am not in XP). If you are not familiar with SeaMonkey, it is basically Netscape 7.2 with some upgrades (mainly security related). Appearance and feature-wise you could not distinguish it from Netscape 7.2 with it's default skin.

For those of you whose only computer is the Windows7 preview, then I'd take the other posters advice.

If not, simply keep using whatever e-mail client you have on your other machine.

I have a feeling that Microsoft will give us the opportunity to install the next build (maybe I'm wrong, I don't know for sure.) I 'm sure they're receiving tons of complaints and feature requests.

Well, maybe not...check out this posting on CNET:
E-mail, photo programs stripped from Windows 7 | Beyond Binary - CNET News

A short part of the article states
Microsoft has decided that Windows 7 won't include built-in programs for e-mail, photo editing, and movie making, as was done with Windows Vista, CNET News.com has learned.

The software maker included Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Mail, and Windows Movie Maker as part of Vista, but later chose to offer separate downloadable Windows Live programs that essentially replaced those components with versions that could connect to online services from Microsoft and others.

Microsoft told CNET News late Monday that it has decided to remove those features entirely from Windows 7 and instead offer only the service-connected Windows Live versions as optional free downloads. Earlier on Monday, Microsoft had declined to say how it was handling things.

In a follow-up interview on Monday, Windows Live general manager Brian Hall said Microsoft made the decision to remove the tools from Windows for several reasons, including a desire to issue new operating system releases more quickly than it has in the past. The move also removes the confusion of offering and supporting two different programs that perform essentially similar functions.

\"It makes it much cleaner,\" Hall said.

Lastly, he said, making the Windows Live tools completely separate from the operating system paves the way for Microsoft to work selectively with specific partners.

\"We can do things with specific partners to enable really great experiences that might be hard in Windows,\" Hall said.

Antitrust rules make it hard for Microsoft to tie operating system features to specific services.

I actually got Windows Mail to open up (but received an error message) by associating .eml files with Winmail.exe, then adding some registry entries, then copying the contents of the C:\Windows\Window Mail folder from my Vista machine and after renaming the originals, pasted the contents into the folder on the Windows 7 machine.

If I have time, I'll attempt it again, track it through Sysinternals Process Monitor and see what it's looking for that prevents it from running.

Serch

Try typing it ib the serch menu.

Start icon, left click it. :confused:
Type in what ever program you want to run :mad:
You will see it pop up befour you even get it typed in. :eek:
Using the serch menu is the fastest way to find alot of the options in Windows 7 .

Thomas :cool:

IMHO,

Downloading Live Mail is just another way of Microsoft packing your computer with more junk. Personally, I prefer to make my own decision. This is just another example of Microsoft trying to push their products down our throats.
I'd recommend another free e-mail client:

Thunderbird - Reclaim your inbox

Also for comparisons, try this site:
Comparison of e-mail clients - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Huh? It's an example of Microsoft not forcing their product down our throats. You only have Windows Live Mail if you make the decision to download it, just like Thunderbird.

I think this is one of the things microsoft has done to make the european union a little more happy. They have never agreed with the fact that microsoft bundles IE, Outlook Express, and opthers. I dont believe microsoft will ever take ie out because how are people supposed to get other browsers without a browser to download them from. HAHA.

Huh? It's an example of Microsoft not forcing their product down our throats. You only have Windows Live Mail if you make the decision to download it, just like Thunderbird.

Not quite true, as Windows Mail is a thing of the past and we do need a e-mail client, right?

Did you read my post @11?. I particulaly like this part:

The software maker included Windows Photo Gallery, Windows Mail, and Windows Movie Maker as part of Vista, but later chose to offer separate downloadable Windows Live programs that essentially replaced those components with versions that could connect to online services from Microsoft and others.

So, you can make a choice to download a Microsoft product or you have the choice to choose whatever e-mail client you prefer.

View this link for more information:
E-mail, photo programs stripped from Windows 7 | Beyond Binary - CNET News

I'm not a Microsoft basher, but I do voice my opinions as to what I think about Microsoft's "marketing" stategy.

I think this is one of the things microsoft has done to make the european union a little more happy. They have never agreed with the fact that microsoft bundles IE, Outlook Express, and opthers. I dont believe microsoft will ever take ie out because how are people supposed to get other browsers without a browser to download them from. HAHA.

Hi there -- just nit picking - but my Mobo has a facility to connect to the Internet straight from the BIOS before even booting Windows. It's some sort of mini-linux system but it works a treat if W7 / Vista internet gets broken and I need a download to fix something.

So in some cases you CAN connect without the official browser. ( Whatever is posted there's always ONE with a smart a--ed reply isn't there). :D:D

Incidentally I understand the above post. I quite often do some free lancework for a very large International Oil company -- travel quite a lot as well for them. However if you get any connection problems with the PC their response ("Standard Company Practice") is Please send an email to the help desk describing the nature of the problem. Go figure when you are in a remote hotel with a broken PC.

Cheers
jimbo

work-around for builtin Windows Mail

If this has been pointed out somewhere else in the forum, then I apologize for the redundancy. If you upgraded your Vista system to Windows 7, you can still use the builtin mail client from Vista. MS does a good job of hiding/disabling mail so any of you that want something up and running all of the time, I would follow the other suggestions previously posted. Otherwise, right-click on your desktop and create a text document. Right-click that text document and select send to. From the list that appears while on send to, select email recipient. Then like magic, your Vista mail client should pop-up. Correction. An email will pop-up, not the actual client. In my case however the email did send without a hitch. This is assuming you haven't set another email client up as your default. I'm not in front of my test machine currently and I performed the email trick several weeks ago so I'll post back if I missed something once I get home.

Back