Windows 7 If WIndows 7 supports GPT, why can't I install the OS on GPT?

Since this thread is a couple of years old, some things have changed since the OP asked the question.

But to use a GPT drive to boot into Windows 7, you must use Windows 7 x64 and have a UEFI enabled bios and install as UEFI. This only refers to the boot drive and not another drive installed in the system.

Formating the primary drive GPT from the get go or starting with a blank partition leaving Windows 7 Pro & Ultimate to do it via diskpart, setup will not proceed until you change the partition scheme to NTFS or MBR. Continue installation / setup remains greyed out even though you can clearly see the partition formated GPT and you receive the following message...

Windows cannot be installed to Disk 0 Partition 1
Click on "show details"
"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

Thank you very much. This has sovled my problem!!!!

To install Windows 7 on GPT is simple; whiloe installing from windows 7 DVD, and you get to the segment that you can create or delete partitions press "shift+F10" this will open a command prompt and you can use diskpart to convert to GPT

hi when do disk part option after select disk 1 with 698 gb GPT and i wnat to convert to mbr i get error :

Virtual disk service error : the specified disk is not convertible......

any help

Since this thread is a couple of years old, some things have changed since the OP asked the question.

But to use a GPT drive to boot into Windows 7, you must use Windows 7 x64 and have a UEFI enabled bios and install as UEFI. This only refers to the boot drive and not another drive installed in the system.

Unfortunately this has not worked for me. I have a brand new 4 TB WD Caviar Black hard drive that I'm attempting to install on a UEFI-complaint MB. I installed the hard drive in a another machine and formatted it NTSF/GPT. When I attempt to install Windows 7 (64-Bit) on this drive, I get the following error message:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk is of the GPT partition style."

The trick is, the 128MB Microsoft Reserved Partition (commonly named MRP) has to be there. It is unseen in the utility "Create and format disk partitions", but is seen by common partitioning tools. On computers that ships with Windows 8, it's also there.

Here's a somewhat detailed MS TechNet provided tutorial as to how to do it. Supporting links are provided in the tutorial & the OS is Windows 7 Pro x64.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/...talling-windows-7-on-uefi-based-computer.aspx

Dig in!

Cat

The trick is, the 128MB Microsoft Reserved Partition (commonly named MRP) has to be there. It is unseen in the utility "Create and format disk partitions", but is seen by common partitioning tools. On computers that ships with Windows 8, it's also there.

Here's a somewhat detailed MS TechNet provided tutorial as to how to do it. Supporting links are provided in the tutorial & the OS is Windows 7 Pro x64.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/askcore/...talling-windows-7-on-uefi-based-computer.aspx

Dig in!

Cat

Thanks for the response Cat. I found the solution here:

How to Create a Bootable UEFI USB Flash Drive for Installing Windows 7, Windows 8, or Windows 8.1

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

The problem I'm having now is that I can't activate Windows. Trying to figure out a way around it.

Back
Top Bottom