Windows 7 If you are on Windows XP and planning to UPGRADE...

Did you pop the disc in and restart your computer? If so go into your bios and change your boot priority to boot from your optical drive.

Create an image of xp (Seagate disk wizard). Save it. Boot into Windows XP. Install Windows 7 (clean install) . You can expand the XP image to second hard drive and dual boot. Kaspersky will let you install to both operating systems with one licence (one computer you see).

It was amazingly easy to upgrade from xp to windows 7. I backed up my stuff onto a seperate drive in my pc using the transfer wizard. I double checked what was going to transfer to make sure I lost nothing and all my pc's users (the kids) files. When finished installing transfer wizard again was very easy and didn't miss anything. Knowing that it's only a matter of time before xp won't be supported so I wanted to upgrade before then. I did a upgrade check to see if my pc and laptop had what it needed to run 7. Luckily my pc was ok but have to keep xp on the old laptop. I brought a Windows 7 magazine and read up on windows 7 before I installed which is helpful in learning more and a godsend. From what I have read here and elsewhere so many people have problems upgrading and I wonder if they check that their pc including sound and video cards are ok to handle the job. I also made sure I had more than enough space and ram. I am no tech but are pretty tech savvy. There are programs that I had that wont work in 7 but I didn't need anymore.

Hello, im a windows xp user and its about time I upgraded.. Either vista or windows 7 I really don't care.. Is there a way to do this free?

Is there an actual multi step UPGRADE path: Win XP 32 ..>>.. Some Vista..>>. Win 7 x32 or x64? I actually want to go to Win 7 x64

Hello and welcome to the forum.
There is no actual upgrade path from any Microsoft 32 bit operating system to any Microsoft 64 bit operating system, not even like version.
So you will need to back up critical data and perform a clean custom install if you intended to move to 64 bit. You'll then need to re-install all programs and restore your data from backups.
Regards
Randy

What about a path Win XP Pro 32 > Win Vista 32 (some version) > Win 7 32. In-place upgrades of OS keeping Apps etc intact to some level?

Hello and welcome to the forum.
There is no actual upgrade path from any Microsoft 32 bit operating system to any Microsoft 64 bit operating system, not even like version.
So you will need to back up critical data and perform a clean custom install if you intended to move to 64 bit. You'll then need to re-install all programs and restore your data from backups.
Regards
Randy

YOU MUST DO A CLEAN INSTALL. There is no upgrade path. There are user migration tools you can use, but you will need to backup your files and do a clean install. I have seen several threads about this and just want to clarify. The upgrade from Windows Vista is a valid upgrade path, but Windows XP to Windows 7 is not.

From what I have read, you can install a copy of Win XP into Win7 and run it inside of Win7. Is it possible to copy an older Win XP installation (and all it's associated loaded software) into that Win XP install?

I had tried to upgrade XP Pro SP3 with a Vista 32 Ultimate Retail and would have then upgraded to the Win7 32 Ultimate Retail, but the Vista upgrade failed at the 32% Gathering Info.

The only reason I want to keep my XP Pro is to run Outlook Express where I have almost a hundred rules setup for all the Yahoogroups I belong. The 20 or so Groups that come to my inbox use the rukes to sort them into separate folder for each group to keep my Inbox clear.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I should mention there are 4 disk drives in my system with C on one, D E F on another, G on a third, and H J K on the fourth.

What worked for me:
Upgraded from XP 32bit to Windows7 64bit
Buy a copy of Laplink PC Mover Upgrade Assistant for Windows 8 (will work on 7) and burn to disk.
Boot to the windows 7 disk and select "Custom Install". This will save the XP install to a "Windows.old" folder.(Fully accessible from Windows 7)
After the installation is complete, and all updates have been installed, install and run PCMover. In the "Configure Transfer" window, select "Standard(Recommended)" option. This will move all programs and settings to the Windows 7 install, saving having to manually reinstall and activate. Any programs that do not migrate can be moved using the "Advanced" option in Configure Transfer" window.
The only issue I had, was with Office 2003, I wound up doing a manual uninstall, and reinstalled Word, Excel, and Outlook individually, with no problems. Since support for Office 2003 has ended, I'm looking at other options for an office suite.
You will have to take ownership of files/folders if these are shared on a home network, so client computers can access.
Good luck.

What worked for me:
Upgraded from XP 32bit to Windows7 64bit
Buy a copy of Laplink PC Mover Upgrade Assistant for Windows 8 (will work on 7) and burn to disk.
Boot to the windows 7 disk and select "Custom Install". This will save the XP install to a "Windows.old" folder.(Fully accessible from Windows 7)
After the installation is complete, and all updates have been installed, install and run PCMover. In the "Configure Transfer" window, select "Standard(Recommended)" option. This will move all programs and settings to the Windows 7 install, saving having to manually reinstall and activate. Any programs that do not migrate can be moved using the "Advanced" option in Configure Transfer" window.
The only issue I had, was with Office 2003, I wound up doing a manual uninstall, and reinstalled Word, Excel, and Outlook individually, with no problems. Since support for Office 2003 has ended, I'm looking at other options for an office suite.
You will have to take ownership of files/folders if these are shared on a home network, so client computers can access.
Good luck.
Mark,

Thanks for the info. No home network here, so that should ease the load. I also have Office 2003.

Did you run Win 7 Upgrade Advisor to see what other software might cause any problems?

Don

Yes, I did run the upgrade advisor. Surprisingly, Windows had all required drivers, but I did install ATI Catalyst.
I did forget the most important step: BACKUP first

Yes, I did run the upgrade advisor. Surprisingly, Windows had all required drivers, but I did install ATI Catalyst.
I did forget the most important step: BACKUP first

I also have ATI Catalyst. I use Ghost to clone the drive, then use that drive for whatever I want to do. Drives are inexpensive. :)

Cloning also makes it easy to move to a larger drive. I'm going to pick up a larger drive tomorrow, and hopefully this time can get all my XP software into Win 7.

The reason I suggest using PC Mover is, not only will it move the program, is also installs it. Saves quite some time, and programs with activation keys also install with no reactivation.

The reason I suggest using PC Mover is, not only will it move the program, is also installs it. Saves quite some time, and programs with activation keys also install with no reactivation.
The only drawback I've heard regarding using PCMover is that it takes many hours to do the transfer. Reviews I have read say it would be faster to re-install. How long did it take for your stuff to transfer?

Mark,

Have PC Mover. I'm going to try 32 bit Win 7, as I have many 32 bit programs. If that works, will try 64 bit Win 7.

The only drawback I've heard regarding using PCMover is that it takes many hours to do the transfer. Reviews I have read say it would be faster to re-install. How long did it take for your stuff to transfer?
Guess I'll find out today how long it will take. :)

Transfer time was not very long. Took longer to download/install updates than the migrate.

Don, I went from XP 32bit to Windows7 64bit, all 32bit programs installed to "Program Files (X86)" Folder and work just fine.

From what I have read, you can install a copy of Win XP into Win7 and run it inside of Win7. Is it possible to copy an older Win XP installation (and all it's associated loaded software) into that Win XP install?

I had tried to upgrade XP Pro SP3 with a Vista 32 Ultimate Retail and would have then upgraded to the Win7 32 Ultimate Retail, but the Vista upgrade failed at the 32% Gathering Info.

The only reason I want to keep my XP Pro is to run Outlook Express where I have almost a hundred rules setup for all the Yahoogroups I belong. The 20 or so Groups that come to my inbox use the rukes to sort them into separate folder for each group to keep my Inbox clear.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I should mention there are 4 disk drives in my system with C on one, D E F on another, G on a third, and H J K on the fourth.
I think you may have gone a different route already (PCMover) but wanted to answer your questions. Win 7 Pro, Ultimate and Enterprise give you the ability to download a feature called XP Mode which is a virtual machine that runs a fully licensed copy of XP.

There are also tools you can use that will create an image of your XP disk and then use that image as a virtual machine. http://www.techrepublic.com/picture...g-windows-xp-system-into-a-virtual-machine/1/

The problem with both of these solutions is that you end up still running XP so you really haven't upgraded.

Back
Top Bottom