Windows 7 I'm also thinking of buying a 64GB SSD for the OS and application software...

cloggyjohn

Extraordinary Member
...but rather than re-installing the OS ( W7 Ultimate ) and all software can I not simply make an image and copy it to the SSD, thereafter modifying the BIOS to boot from the SSD rather than the original HDD leaving the latter available for data only ? I gather I have to disable Prefetch, Super Prefetch and disk defragmentation, does anything else need modifying ? Thanks in advance for any help. P.S. I use PING to create/restore images and have done several restores without problems.

Last edited:
Hi

As far as I know that should work.
It works when replacing a normal hard drive with a new one.

I think I would create the Widows SSD and then disconnect the regular hard drive set it to boot to the SSD and then boot it for the first time to avoid any possibility of problems with the conflicting installations just to be on the safe side.

If it boots then plug the original drive in and start it up again.

Once you are sure it boots to the SSD you can format the old hard drive.

The worst that could happen is that it wouldn't boot to the SSD.
Then you could just plug your old hard drive back in and be back where you started.

Mike

Last edited:
Thanks Mike, that sounds reassuring. If and when I get round to purchasing the SSD I'll let you know what happens.

John

...but rather than re-installing the OS ( W7 Ultimate ) and all software can I not simply make an image and copy it to the SSD, thereafter modifying the BIOS to boot from the SSD rather than the original HDD leaving the latter available for data only ? I gather I have to disable Prefetch, Super Prefetch and disk defragmentation, does anything else need modifying ? Thanks in advance for any help. P.S. I use PING to create/restore images and have done several restores without problems.

I recently installed a 90gb vertex 2 SSD using macrium reflect by taking the image from my old mechanical sata drive then restoring to my new SSD. This appeared to have worked well but i soon discovered a few errors , theoretically fixed by diskchk.

I have since done a fresh install with a windows 7 image and the system runs much better with better disk speeds ?

I reckon the only way to get the SSD drive aligned properly is with a fresh install as the image had of course blindly ignored the need for alignment ?

Dont buy ocz's ssd's. I ended up spending 30 hours figuring out how to get their drives firmware to update when i first got em, mostly because the information to do so was scattered all over the forums. Turns out their hardware wasnt even fully functional yet and i essentially paid to betatest for them. I bought $1500 in their high end drives and $750 worth died. Tried to get it repaired and they told me to F off. The whole operation comes across as a few guys figuring out how to make their stuff work.

Crucial and Intel are currently developing good SSDs. We are using Intel for the website and I am using Crucial for my systems.

[Solved] I'm also thinking of buying a 64GB SSD for the OS and application software...

It took me a while to get round to it but I eventually bought a 60GB Vertex 2 SSD and, using Acronis True Image Home ( free 30-day trial version ), I copied W7 from the HDD to the SSD and all seems to be working perfectly - and fast ! I checked the offset and, at 1024K, Acronis has taken care of that aswell so I'm well pleased. :)

Back