Windows 7 I'm confused. Is 7 replacing Vista?

MTHall51

Just checking. Is 7 like some advanced SP pack added to Vista, or a whole replacement for Vista? I hope not a replacement already, since I am going to be making a tutorial for people at work in the next month or so.

Let me know.

Thanks.

Whole New System (Windows 7)

From what I understand Windows 7 is a totally new type of operating system. It works on "Virtualisation" which I yet still don't have a clear definition of what that really is. It works without a binary program. It's fast....

Vista will still be around, it has a binary program because of Windows Explorer and Windows Media. It's built on a modular design with componentisation. It's slow because of huge libraries.

What I worry about is Vista compatible with Windows 7 ? Can it form a network ? I believe you would need new software for Windows 7. It's starting to sound like Windows 7 isn't even a computer anymore. Who's doing the data storage ?

Just checking. Is 7 like some advanced SP pack added to Vista, or a whole replacement for Vista? I hope not a replacement already, since I am going to be making a tutorial for people at work in the next month or so.

Let me know.

Thanks.

From what I've read, the vista kernal is still to be used in 7. It's to be 'refined' apparently...

Windows 7 is the next version of Windows. Yes, it will replace Vista, like Vista replaced XP, which replaced 2000 and M.E.

Vista will be getting a service pack, but that has nothing to do with Windows 7. The Service Pack will be called... Windows Vista SP2.

And Windows 7 won't be shipping until early fall next year, at the earliest.

Just to reiterate, Windows 7 is a totally new operating system. It's supposed to be a bigger leap forward than XP was to Vista, and is built off the MinWin kernel, an operating system base code that is optimized for speed and effieicency.

It is not considered a service pack, or small revision of Vista.

As for this "virtualization" idea, that's wrong. It is still a regular code base, and is not emulated at all. It does however, support hypervisors, but that's another big explanation I won't go into. I've seen a M3 version of 7 in action, and I can tell you with total certainty, that it is NOT a virtualized operating system.

It is way too early to make a tutorial. But you can start the initial planning for a migration. I would guess (very much a guess) that the required system specs should be no less than Vista's. Check out some of the information I have posted on my blog. This gives a good understanding of what the public knows about it thus far but there is still so much that remains unknown for now.

If you're talking about a virtual machine built into windows, you're correct, but windows 7 itself will not be a virtualized environment. Microsoft is integrating hypervisors into Windows 7, a technology that allows for virtualiztion on top of the OS.

"But that is correct, Windows 7 kernel will be a "MinWin"- slimmed down. "
Actually that is INcorrect. Traut has been misqouted on many pages by the reproduction of a poorly reported original blog. (I believe, Mary Foley as usual!)
What he said was the Minwin was an inhouse kernel, which was being used to construct the new "7" kernel.
Minwin is the core of the windows kernel, dating back a couple of "legacy releases. It is natural that MS would wish to build up on the basic kernel, as starting over would be a bit of a time waster.

Back
Top Bottom