Windows 8 Improved CHKDSK Utility in Windows 8 w/Tutorial

First: A little Information:

Microsoft will roll out Windows Server 2012 with a new file system, called the "Resilient File System" (ReFS). The Windows 8 client, currently at beta, still uses the older New Technology File System (NTFS), but Microsoft eventually plans to transition it over to ReFS. The two file systems are compatible.

Microsoft has explained that ReFS is specifically designed to support the Storage Spaces feature in Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8, and the new and improved CHKDSK utility will work even when the Storage Spaces feature is activated. Storage Spaces allows IT pros to created pooled storage from a bunch of disks. They can hot-swap the disks in and out of the pool, as needed, without affecting the production environment.

Full Article @ Microsoft Offering Improved CHKDSK Utility in Windows 8 -- Redmondmag.com

Tutorial for running CHKDSK:

There are 2 options to running CHKDSK (Check Disk) in Windows 8

Option #1:
Run CHKDSK from "My Computer"

1. Open "My Computer" either from Programs or Windows + E

2. Right click the drive you wish to check and click on "Properties"
dwxwzp.jpg

3. Click on the Tools tab, and click on the Check button under Error checking.
23r73n9.jpg

4. If no errors are found, you can either "Cancel" (close) or scan the drive anyway.
2gslklz.jpg

5. If errors are found, click "Repair drive"
2qicy7k.jpg

When the scan or repair is completed, you can click on "Show Details" to view the results of the chkdsk logs from the "Event Viewer".

Option #2: Using Command Prompt (CMD) w/Administrative Privileges

1. Open the "Elevated Command Prompt"

2. The following Switches are the commands to be used, ones in red are new in Windows 8.
You must place a space between each switch if more than 1 is used.

/F - Fixes errors on the disk. The disk must be locked. If chkdsk cannot lock the drive, a message appears that asks you if you want to check the drive the next time you restart the computer.
/V - On FAT or FAT32 volumes, displays the name of each file in every directory as the disk is checked.
/R - Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information. The disk must be locked. Includes the functionality of /f, with the additional analysis of physical disk errors.
/L:[size in KB] - Can only be used with a NTFS disk. Changes the chkdsk log file size to the number size you type. If you omit the size parameter, typing /L displays the current size.
/X - Forces the volume to dismount first, if necessary. All open handles to the drive are invalidated. Includes the functionality of /f.
/I - Can only be used with a NTFS disk. Performs a less vigorous check of index entries, which reduces the amount of time required to run.
/C - Can only be used with a NTFS disk. Does not check cycles within the folder structure, which reduces the amount of time required to run.
/B - Can only be used with a NTFS disk. Clears the list of bad clusters on the volume and rescans all allocated and free clusters for errors. Includes the functionality of /r.
/scan - Can only be used with a NTFS disk. Runs a online scan on the volume.
/forceofflinefix - Can only be used with a NTFS disk. Must be used with /scan switch. This will bypass all online repair and set aside (queue) for offline repair.
/perf - Can only be used with a NTFS disk. Must be used with /scan switch. Uses more system resources to complete a scan as a fast as possible.
/spotfix - Can only be used with a NTFS disk. Runs spot fixxing on the volume.
sdccleanup
- Can only be used with a NTFS disk. Garbage collect unneeded security desciptor data. Includes the functionality of /f.
offlinescanandfix
- Runs an offline scan and fix on the volume.

This concludes the CHKDSK Tutorial for Windows 8

Don

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Improved CHKDSK Utility in Windows 8

The above is, certainly, valid. somewhere in this Forum I had put the following...

Disc check in Windows8 ( I did this in my Win8 CP, to confirm ) done thusly:

> cmd, Run as Admin. Type, chkdsk /scan

&, yes, I do know/see it is listed above. Think of this command line as the 'basic' check disc & the others as additionals.

Check it out for yourselves.

Back