Windows 8 In need of Help. Several Issues.

eriePAt

New to forums, and windows 8.

I was pretty computer literate to this point but now I feel like an idiot. I will give as much detail as possible. If any other is needed just ask.

I run win8 pro 64bit. dell inspiron 1545. Has Pentium(r) dual core cpu t4300 @2.10 ghz. 3gb ram. I previously had windows 7 and a 250 gb Toshiba sata hdd. All crashed beginning of November. Replaced with:

On same computer. win 8 pro and new 250gb Seagate sata hdd. This was done on 11/06/12.
Been having problems with my internet connection. Use a mobile hotspot thru Verizon wireless. as of now this issue is fixed, I hope. However,

a month or so ago I was having problems and contacted Microsoft. They took control remotely and got some info from them. the tech said I need something done. (saved a copy of the conversation) They tried getting money out of me to fix the problems. I told them my store was just closed down and have no income coming in. She insisted on getting me to pay for 20 mins. Was pretty pissed with the whole thing. Said she couldn't help if I didn't pay. One price was 169.00. Since installing on that date I have 8,016 Errors and warnings. I have found them and can tell what they are. Maybe not the whole functioning of them but can get to it. I have googled and youtubed videos with no help on how to fix any of this. In the event viewer, I have no idea how to go about even trying to fix any of this. But it needs fixed.

I ran Ms office diagnostics that has told me its all about to crash again. or predicted a hdd fail.

I have attached the conversation so you can see what was said and such. No viruses or ne of that. Just need help. Plz.

Attachments

• Microsoft CONVO.docx
    10.2 KB · Views: 340
I have looked at the doc, which unfortunately does not convey much more than you have stated.

Where did you contact Microsoft? Was it somewhere in the Indian regions?

I am afraid you may have been skammed. It is a frequent occurrence. There are several different rumours around, the most repeated is that these people are actually Microsoft associated partners. I doubt, you had any serious issues with your computer, until they got there hands on it and planted the problems.

Could you give a brief outline of the problems you are having. I, or others here, may be able to help -We do not charge!

But, meanwhile, First run a thorough virus check, then open a command prompt (run as Administrator) and type sfc /scannow - this will attempt a repair of any corrupted files it finds. It takes a while, but , with luck, may fix the majority of your problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
After you run the scan, could you show us one or two of the Event Viewer Error messages. Sometimes it helps if we have the details.

But usually folks that send the full log reports has so much info that it is meaningless, so just a couple with the specifics, please.

Where did you get your install media?

Running a chkdsk might also be beneficial.

I have gotten bad hard drives that were new....

I would run a boot utility to check for corrupted sectors on your disk. It will affect the filesystem directly in most cases if there's anything wrong with certain sectors of your hdd, and if they are not fixed, there are cases where the issues will only get worse, and to which point it just becomes a cat and mouse game really.

I think, if I can remember correctly SeaGate provides a good boot utility, perhaps WD, it's been a while, but my disk is someplace in my office.

That would be the first thing you should try, system file checker, as mentioned previously by davehc is also a very great suggestion! So I'd advise seeing what that does for you too. Could we see what some of the errors look like in the Event Viewer you have? System Logs, in specific just for starting.

Once you've done these things, then we can dig a little deeper if the problem is revealed at that point, or certain issues that hint at the problem, as this may or may not be as severe as I can assume.

It mentions viruses though... What kind of Antivirus are you using? I would suggest performing a scan as well in that case.

Ok. Well here goes. The tech that I talked to did seem Indian. So I figured it wasn't a true Microsoft person. As far as anti virus, I run avg 2013(free). As far as I know there are no viruses or such. I would love running Kaspersky but don't have extra money being unemployed. What I did most recently was added any updates and installs. Did a whole computer scan. Since install and in last 30 days avg says it has scanned 6236630 files, same for both. So I apparently didn't have it going while I started the rest of the system. 0 items or nothing has been found or quarantined. Then restarted computer and internet. I ran the resource protection, where it said it did not find any integrity violations. I also ran the scan disk. The results of which are attached, named as such. Nothing seems awry there.
As far as problems I really haven't noticed much other than it being slower than it was before the previous stuff crashed. Also the internet problems I do believe were a weird one. Because I have my printer set up wirelessly it is on network. I believe I got all of that figured out. I still have some instances where it happens but I have noticed that this is when the printer is completely off. in such case I turn on and the problem seems to be non existent. Sometimes it goes out but that could just be the type of connection rite(mobile hotspot). As far as someone saying where did I get install media? I believe you want to know I only download certified things, lol and have 32bit and 64bit boot disks W8 came with. All keys I use are original, no cracks. The computer, previous and current OS and HDD's have been purchased at Best Buy.
Ok... Few last things. The 3rd post said something about boot utility. Not completely sure about that. I did Google it with out any clear results so I didn't bother to play with. I did go on Seagate's site and looked, it says their stuff is only compatible with W7 and versions of Vista. 8 is not listed. Does this create a problem? I do know about some boot actions. As if I were to go into the bios. Is this what was meant?

I have just as of this morning added start8. Don't think that should affect anything though.
While on the start screen I did find something interesting. What is PowerShell. I found 3 icons. 2 that are PowerShell ISE.( when I hover 1 the name shows up) when I do it to the other it does not do it or display anything. The other just says PowerShell (x86)? Don't know so i'm asking.

As far as showing you. The only thing I could do was take pics with my phone and email them so I could download them and attach them. I tried not getting to carried away and hopefully you can read. They are numbered 1-13. Corresponds with below:
1. Main overview of Adm. Evnts.
2. Main of just Error.
3. Main of just Warning.
4.-10. Main of Information. The last one is the first on the next list so none were missed.
11. Main of Windows Log.
12&13. Main of Adm. Events. These comprise the first day and first entries of the system

Once again thanks for the help. Also is this how im supposed to continue posting. Going downward/threading

Attachments

• ChkDsk Results 12.31.12.docx
    10.8 KB · Views: 264
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 233
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 288
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 272
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 276
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 289
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 298
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 317
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 298
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 272
Ok. Well here goes. The tech that I talked to did seem Indian. So I figured it wasn't a true Microsoft person. As far as anti virus, I run avg 2013(free). As far as I know there are no viruses or such. I would love running Kaspersky but don't have extra money being unemployed. What I did most recently was added any updates and installs. Did a whole computer scan. Since install and in last 30 days avg says it has scanned 6236630 files, same for both. So I apparently didn't have it going while I started the rest of the system. 0 items or nothing has been found or quarantined. Then restarted computer and internet. I ran the resource protection, where it said it did not find any integrity violations. I also ran the scan disk. The results of which are attached, named as such. Nothing seems awry there.
As far as problems I really haven't noticed much other than it being slower than it was before the previous stuff crashed. Also the internet problems I do believe were a weird one. Because I have my printer set up wirelessly it is on network. I believe I got all of that figured out. I still have some instances where it happens but I have noticed that this is when the printer is completely off. in such case I turn on and the problem seems to be non existent. Sometimes it goes out but that could just be the type of connection rite(mobile hotspot). As far as someone saying where did I get install media? I believe you want to know I only download certified things, lol and have 32bit and 64bit boot disks W8 came with. All keys I use are original, no cracks. The computer, previous and current OS and HDD's have been purchased at Best Buy.
Ok... Few last things. The 3rd post said something about boot utility. Not completely sure about that. I did Google it with out any clear results so I didn't bother to play with. I did go on Seagate's site and looked, it says their stuff is only compatible with W7 and versions of Vista. 8 is not listed. Does this create a problem? I do know about some boot actions. As if I were to go into the bios. Is this what was meant?

I have just as of this morning added start8. Don't think that should affect anything though.
While on the start screen I did find something interesting. What is PowerShell. I found 3 icons. 2 that are PowerShell ISE.( when I hover 1 the name shows up) when I do it to the other it does not do it or display anything. The other just says PowerShell (x86)? Don't know so i'm asking.

As far as showing you. The only thing I could do was take pics with my phone and email them so I could download them and attach them. I tried not getting to carried away and hopefully you can read. They are numbered 1-13. Corresponds with below:
1. Main overview of Adm. Evnts.
2. Main of just Error.
3. Main of just Warning.
4.-10. Main of Information. The last one is the first on the next list so none were missed.
11. Main of Windows Log.
12&13. Main of Adm. Events. These comprise the first day and first entries of the system

Once again thanks for the help. Also is this how im supposed to continue posting. Going downward/threading

Windows PowerShell - Windows Powershell is installed by default on Windows 7 and Windows 8. I know this because I script using Powershell occasionally. ISE is an IDE for Powershell scripting. Powershell in itself is like an advanced version of Batch.

For the boot utilities, not having Windows 8 listed is not a guarantee that it will not work all the time. It could be that perhaps the site information was just no updated since the release of Windows 8. Although, yes, there's still the possibility that it's not compatible with Windows 8, that is a gamble.

As far as i'm concerned, I wouldn't even trust AVG if I were you. From my experience with any of the versions i've tried. It can't even touch the icing on the cake for malware out there... Free or paid.

MSE is a better free alternative. Or with Windows 8, disguised as "Windows Defender".

Those screenshots don't really tell me anything btw. It's the same as knowing that a building is on fire, but not knowing whether people are still inside or if they are hurt. I need to see actual event error messages.

What are the most recent errors saying?

Could you double click the SChannel errors you are showing and give the details? When you double click the error, there should be a plain text message about the situation that might contain some AppIDs, or GUID numbers.

You might check this link to see if anything looks familiar. But it seems they are related to internet security, and you had the problem with the hotspot. Of course these errors may just a result of using that type of hotspot, not sure. Maybe one of your internet apps is having problems.

But I do not see many other errors recently. You have had some Windows Update Client errors, do you know why and is the Windows Update working OK?

Frankly, I don't see a big problem with your computer. I would not regard 4 errrors as significant.Your observation that it seems slower than before the "repairs, could be attributed to other factors, rather than problems. The wireless printer event will be naturally recorded, possibly as an error, if the OS cannot see it (ie. Its off). Your own analysis fits. I am in a field where I am constantly testing critical material. The event viewer is a n excellent tool for quickly isolating where any problems originate, but not necessarily too helpful in solving those problems. I find I occasionally need to clean the Event log, as it becomes full of error/warning events...
But, Make sure your printer is online, then run the attached file and then have a look, again, at the Event viewer. - You only need to see the summary of Admin events initially.
By the way, you can drag out the whole of the table, to view it, and then use the snipping tool to capture a picture, if you wish to post up on the forum. But your photos were excellent.

You might also find a modest improvement in performance, if you run the cleanmng, followed by a defrag.
Sorry. Forgot the attached. Added now.

Back