Windows 7 Install Strange Problems... Help!

chadalehman

CPU: AMD X2 64 bit 3800+ (2.0 GHz)
RAM: 4 GB
Motherboard: BFG nForce4 Ultra
Video Card: EVGA GeForce 8500
2 SATA Drives (160GB & 250GB)
IDE DVD burner

I have downloaded and burn multiple copies of Windows 7 and cannot get it to even really start the install. Went ahead and created a bootable USB drive and got the same results.

The inital "windows is loading files..." takes about 10 minutes, then the next screen to actually start the install may or may not show and if it does, it is after another 10 minutes or so. (I am able to see the blue background with the leaves, etc) Then if I am lucky enough to make it there, I select install and go through everything until I see "Setup is starting" (or whatever it says) and just hangs.

This is occurring with both the 64 bit and 32 bit installs. FYI- I have gone to the point of removing all but one SATA drive (including removing the DVD drive), all USB connections (save my mouse and keyboard), pulling 2 sticks of RAM to take it down to 2 GB and I still cannot get this to install.

Please help...

Hello and welcome,

A few questions?

Are you performing a "clean" install or an upgrade?

Did you burn the ISO's at the slowest speed possible (1x) and id you use a quality, name brand DVD?

Since you have two hard drives, please post back with the partitioning scheme including info such as (System, Boot, Pagefile, etc for each drive letter.

Clean install, however the first partition of the harddrive (160GB) was a Windows XP install. Basically trying to wipe that image with a clean install of Windows 7.

Regarding the DVD media, I did burn this at the slowest rate and use good quality DVD's. Not sure if that would be the issue because I experience the same problems with a bootable USB drive, which should aleviate any of these concerns. (might point to a bad ISO image, but not sure I should be able to mount it with Magic Disc and copy the files to my USB drive)

Harddrive partitions, to the best of my recollection...
160 GB:
1. 49 GB NTFS Windows XP install
2. 104 GB NTFS Media/Data storage

250 GB:
1. 40 GB NTFS Windows XP Install
2-5 or 6. Ubuntu Linux install
(remaining portion of the disk does not have any partions created)

Thank you,

Chad

Back