Windows 7 Installing 64bit Windows on 32-bit?

rixopod

Hello!

I was looking to upgrade to 64-bit Windows so I could purchase more RAM, I was told that the Windows installation disc comes with 32-bit and 64-bit, but my disc says ' Windows 7 Professional 32-bit x86 Upgrade'
If it does come with the 64-bit, how do I install it?

Can I download a 64-bit ISO and use my product key to activate it?

Thanks for any help :D

If it says Windows 7 32-bit it's 32 bit.
Currently you can't upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit, you can only upgrade to a different version of 32 bit (ie: You can go from 32bit Home Premium to 32 bit Professional, but you can't go from 32bit Home Premium to 64bit Professional) (What I mean is ------ You can upgrade your current 96-page booklet to a better quality 96-page booklet, but you can't upgrade your current 96-page book to a 128-page book... comprehende?)

Hope I helped :)

(Basically, to sum it up, you can't upgrade 32bit to 64 bit.)

If it says Windows 7 32-bit it's 32 bit.
Currently you can't upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit, you can only upgrade to a different version of 32 bit (ie: You can go from 32bit Home Premium to 32 bit Professional, but you can't go from 32bit Home Premium to 64bit Professional) (What I mean is ------ You can upgrade your current 96-page booklet to a better quality 96-page booklet, but you can't upgrade your current 96-page book to a 128-page book... comprehende?)

Hope I helped :)

(Basically, to sum it up, you can't upgrade 32bit to 64 bit.)

But can I do a clean install using 64bit and use my current product key?

I don't think so.
sure, a clean install might work (highly doubt it), but using the same product key?
Let's think logically for a moment - what you're proposing (unless I have misunderstood your post) is that you're using your car key to drive someone else's car.

if you were to do a clean install and get 64 bit, you'd have to (and more experienced people correct me if I'm wrong) redo all your files (as in, any software you downloaded etc).
but give it a shot, if it works then we've (the people and I) learnt a valuable lesson

as a sidenote: You should've thought of getting 64bit before making your computer。

Ok, I downloaded a 64-bit ISO and intsalled it using my current product key, everything worked and now i am just waiting for Windows Easy Transfer to finish transferring my files :D

Back