Windows 7 Installing both 32 and 64 bit

NightFenix

I'd like to play with both versions, is there a way I can partition my hard drive and install both systems on each partition and run them? Thanks.

lol....?
how much ram do you have?

you that the 32bit & 64bit versions are the exact same thing?
only difference is the the 64bit version supports more ram...

no use...

I was under the impression that 64 bit operating systems are also able to process things faster, based on what I had read. Or do they only process things faster because they can support more ram?

In answer to the original question - yes, you can.

I have a 160GB drive set aside for Windows 7. I installed 64-bit first, creating the partition and formatting half the drive during setup. After I had that up and running I installed 32-bit with the remainder of the drive.

Piece of cake.

lol....?
how much ram do you have?

you that the 32bit & 64bit versions are the exact same thing?
only difference is the the 64bit version supports more ram...

no use...

That's not entirely true.. there's more benefits to using a 64 bit OS than just being able to use more ram.. for one thing, the programs that benefit from a 64 bit OS work much faster and overall more effeciently... if you google the pros and cons you'll see that there is more to a 64 bit OS than just being able to use more ram.. ;)

Okay, here's how you do it;
Install one of them.
Run it.
Start menu > right click my computer > manage > Storage > Disk Management > right click that partition and click shrink volume.
Try to give both partitions equal size

OR

If you're formatting because you've backed all your data up, just delete all partitions on your drive from the Windows 7 disk, then create two equally sized partitions, and install to one, then the other.

Yeah I've partitioned before, I just didn't know if I could install a copy to each of them and boot with it. Do you recommend the partitions be equal size for a reason? I'm probably going to be using the 32 bit version more so I was going to allocate more space to that partition.

I am curious why you would be using the 32-bit version more.

So far I have found nothing (aside from no 64-bit support for Flash with 64-bit IE8) that could not run just fine with W764.
(granted, I am still in my early test phase)

Since we are testing beta versions, wouldn't it be more prudent to allocate more space to the best OS that your CPU supports - rather than to the older 32-bit version that is going out the 'window'?

Question about 64 bit versus 32

64 bit applications will run faster in a 64 bit environment but most applications today are still 32 bit and they may running slower in a 64 bit environment.

Well, considering my processor's L2 cache is only 1MB, I'd imagine that's the reason why the 64 bit doesn't run as well. So yeah the 64 bit would be faster, but with only a processor cache of 1mb and just 2GB of RAM, it's not going to run as fast as the 32 bit. But I still have both versions installed, and I can still save items to both partitions of my hard drive.

43 bit vers 64 bit

My bet is that 32 bit will run faster then 64 bit ! 64 bit runs slower for me. has anyone else tried both vers. ? I think 64 bit needs some work on it. :confused:

Thomas:cool:

Back
Top Bottom