Windows 7 Installing W7 on a Laptop.

Obsidian

Windows 7 has been running fine on my desktop PC for a while now, everything is fine and dandy, but a friend of mine would like to try it on a Laptop he has lying around, and would like me to install it as my knowledge of computers is more advanced than his own.

I've never actually re-installed an OS on a laptop as I've never needed to, but I get the jist of it. Check the brand and model, check to see if the relavent drivers can be found on the manufacturer's website and then check the laptop compatibility.

The Laptop:
Asus M50Sa
Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit

I'm kind of happy it's Vista, as that means he can do an Upgrade to W7, but, will it workout ok? Is there anything I'll need to look out for during the install process?
Would it be better to just recomend XP SP3?

If it can run vista it will run W7B just fine.

Odds are that when you install it will have all the drivers. I personally do not do upgrades for OS's. To many issues to many times. I would clean install it. I run it exclusively on all my machines, at home and on my work laptop which is on a very large network and so far things have been flawless.

Go for it...

After installing the 32-bits version as a dualboot on my Dell XPS M1330 laptop I was very surprised how well and nice it worked. All hardware was recognized (wifi, screen etc). I have 2 gb of ram and a 1.7 dual core processer. While everything worked fine I decided to go a little further and clean my harddisk and installed the 64 bit version. Again it installed without a problem. I only had to download the 64 bitdriver for the fingerprint-controller from the Dell site. I tried a dtv-usbsick and this worked also rightaway out of the box. I now can use Mediacenter to watch and record TV.

I.ve used my laptop for my work as well for almost 3 weeks every day and no single problem or hangup.

Nice work Microsoft!

After installing the 32-bits version as a dualboot on my Dell XPS M1330 laptop I was very surprised how well and nice it worked. All hardware was recognized (wifi, screen etc). I have 2 gb of ram and a 1.7 dual core processer. While everything worked fine I decided to go a little further and clean my harddisk and installed the 64 bit version. Again it installed without a problem. I only had to download the 64 bitdriver for the fingerprint-controller from the Dell site. I tried a dtv-usbsick and this worked also rightaway out of the box. I now can use Mediacenter to watch and record TV.

I.ve used my laptop for my work as well for almost 3 weeks every day and no single problem or hangup.

Nice work Microsoft!

Generally the same experience. Installed it on my work D630 Latitude, everything worked right out of the box. Installed drivers, although the default installed by MS worked fine. I replace vista with , W7B and have no regrets. I have to say for a beta OS, it is one of the best I have seen. I think it is better than most released OS's.

I love it and can't wait for the finished product.

I installed Windows 7 X64 on a Sony Vaio FZ-21Z and where it did pick up the drivers for me, the machine is constantly hanging. Every-time I try to do anything with Media Player, I-Tunes, sometimes copying across network connection, the machine just hangs and I have to go into task manager and end process's or sometimes re-boot.

I am going to install the 32 bit to see how I get on.

Back
Top Bottom