Windows 7 Installing windows 7 on different computer

Chuck Lynch

Honorable Member
Hi. My dell computer completely died. Im in the process of building a new computer. Can i use the windows 7 disc on my new computer

First and foremost, you have to have a valid Win 7 product key for installation.

Did the Win 7 come pre-installed in the Dell computer ?
If yes, the product key is an OEM key. It is NOT transferrable.

Which means, you'll have to buy a new license.

If you buy a new license, it will come with an Installation DVD and a new product key. That makes your original Dell Win 7 disc irrelevant.

Besides, it is not usual that a computer with pre-installed Win 7 also comes with an installation disc. It could be a recovery disc which will be no good for new installation.

So, if you provide more info..........

I upgraded it from Xperia to windows 7. I bought the disks from a store

Sent from my SCH-I535 using WindowsForum mobile app

OK. That is an Installation DVD. and a retail version of Win 7 product key.
But you still have one insurmountable problem..... a valid product key.
The rule is .......one product key, one install.
I am assuming that you did not uninstall Win 7 before the computer died..........
Although your Dell has " died ", as far as Microsoft is concerned, the Win 7 product key is still considered installed.
Therefore you cannot use the key again. If you do, you will get the error message such as " product key is in use ", and you won't be able to activate the new install.

You can try calling Microsoft and explain the situation. They might issue you a new product key.........IF you are lucky.
Otherwise, you are stuck with buying a new license.

That is as far as I know how to assist you.

Last edited:
According to this post I found on it says you can but you need to uninstall the product key from your old computer so that it will be valid on the new one. See How To Geek Website here-
[URL='http://www.howtogeek.com/124286/how-to-uninstall-your-windows-product-key-before-you-sell-your-pc[/QUOTE']http://www.howtogeek.com/124286/how-to-uninstall-your-windows-product-key-before-you-sell-your-pc[/URL]

A mission impossible considering the OP's computer has " completely died ".

Back