Windows 7 Installing XP after Windows 7

Does this apply to computers connecting to the internet through wires and not wireless? I am just using the motherboard I believe.

Does this apply to computers connecting to the internet through wires and not wireless? I am just using the motherboard I believe.
No matter if you "use the MB" or a separate NIC card, a NIC is your only way to connect using wired (ethernet).
Run Belarc Advisor to find out your NIC maker. It is probably not made by your MB maker, but a separate third party like Broadcom.
You could also run device manager in XP and see what your card is.
Device manager will tell you if your card is running ok or whether it needs drivers.

To get to device manager create a shortcut to it.
Right click a blank area of your desktop and choose new>shortcut. In the "type the location of the item:" field

copy the below command to that field

C:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc

click next and then finish and you will have a brand new shortcut to Device Manager on your desktop.
You still didn't answer my question, where did you get the drivers you needed when you first installed XP?

No matter if you "use the MB" or a separate NIC card, a NIC is your only way to connect using wired (ethernet).
Run Belarc Advisor to find out your NIC maker. It is probably not made by your MB maker, but a separate third party like Broadcom.
You could also run device manager in XP and see what your card is.
Device manager will tell you if your card is running ok or whether it needs drivers.

To get to device manager create a shortcut to it.
Right click a blank area of your desktop and choose new>shortcut. In the "type the location of the item:" field

copy the below command to that field

C:\WINDOWS\system32\devmgmt.msc

click next and then finish and you will have a brand new shortcut to Device Manager on your desktop.
You still didn't answer my question, where did you get the drivers you needed when you first installed XP?

Thanks, I will try to run that software in a little bit.

And I must have missed your question but when I first installed XP was about a year ago and a friend of mine helped build and setup my computer so I don't have that information in front of me, sorry.

Thanks, I will try to run that software in a little bit.

And I must have missed your question but when I first installed XP was about a year ago and a friend of mine helped build and setup my computer so I don't have that information in front of me, sorry.
He must have previously located the drivers you need before installing XP.

He must have previously located the drivers you need before installing XP.

Yeah, I guess so.

I did the software and I have all of the information about my computer, I don't want to post it all but what information did we need to continue? I can't find anything with NIC.

Thankyou everyone for helping, I am very happy now. I have a dual boot and the internet working on the XP side. Fjgold sent me a pm due to trouble posting here and we fixed the internet problem, it was just a driver needed for any of those who have the same issue. Thankyou guys so much, if I have any other Windows 7 questions I'll be sure to come back to this forum, thanks.

Glad to be of help. To answer the question you asked in your PM reply (I'm now temporarilly locked out of PM) I/we go out of our way to help just to help. I remember when I was new to tech and others helped me.

BTW. It seema the forum is letting me post replies now so here is the reply that helped Mineola fix his problem.
Found this using the info you provided about you MB earlier.This from the intel website for your MB model.

XP Pro

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...+XP+Professional&lang=eng&strOSs=44&submit=Go!

XP Home

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/fil...+XP+Home+Edition&lang=eng&strOSs=45&submit=Go!

I didn't know your XP version so choose the appropriate link above.

These are all the drivers available for your MB including a BIOS update and your NIC (LAN) adapter.

According to Newegg you should have recieved a driver disk along with your MB but the drivers listed on the Intel web site are the very latest, use them.

In XP create a folder in C:\ and name it XP drivers or something like that. Then boot Win 7 and use your internet connection to download the drivers from Intel and save them to the folder you created in XP.

Alternatively save them to an appropriately sized thumb drive.

Install them in XP and that should take care of that.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that by the way.

Before I went to my last resort of posting on a forum I went straight to google and found a bunch of threads with the same problem. However in the end the person would just reply something like "got it to work, thanks" without telling us how he/she did it. So I appreciate you posting that for anyone else who has the same problem.

Ok...

It looks like the bootloader path is incorrect, try removing Windows XP from EasyBCD and adding it again, I don't have much experience with the program, but that's what I'd do in this situation, the picture of a failed boot would be useful to work out whats going wrong. :)

Hope this helps, Jack

Back