Windows 7 Internet connection was great at first, then declined to nothing

Sandytoomany

Let me start by saying that I have read a ton of the other posts & tried many of the suggestions (though some were over my head), but can't find a solution and I desperately need advice on what to do or where to go.

Background: bought a Toshiba laptop in Dec 2009 with Windows 7. Everything worked perfectly out of the box. (We had 4 other computers with Vista - one of them being the host computer for the internet via wireless router from cable modem.) I liked the Windows 7 so much that I went out and bought an upgrade for my husband's laptop & that too went without a hitch. We were preparing to go to Florida for 2 months (1 month each in 2 different cities). We had previously used our desktops for emails (Windows Professional 2003 - outlook). I got the laptops set up for exclusive email accounts and everything worked great before we left. January in Orlando in a rented house with a computer & wireless internet - no problems. February in Panama City Beach in a rented house that had cable internet installed our second day there. We bought a wireless router and attached it - still no problem. After about a week, my laptop stopped letting me send out emails. After about another week, the wireless stopped completely, but I plugged into the router with an ethernet cord. Internet worked fine then, but still couldn't send emails - only recieve them. We get back home in March, now my laptop can't connect with our internet setup - either wireless or with a cable. It won't show any connections possible - while my husband's shows our secured network along with half a dozen neighbor's networks. (Meanwhile, my husband's laptop is working perfectly!) Okay, now I'm really getting frustrated - I set up email account up on my old desktop and continue to use laptop for only local work (Word, Access, Picasa, etc.) Then I get to the point that a software I'm using needs an update, but I can't get online to receive it.

So what can I do? I'm ready to spend money on it, but am unsure where to go for help. Do you think the Geek Squad is up to date on Windows 7 problems or do I start somewhere else? Please help
icon4.gif

Back