Windows 7 Internet connections problems, want opinions?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I've been having problems with my internet connection, for about a month.

I know the problems isn't in my computers, both of our computers, both wired and wireless go down at the same time.

I'm not a big hardware person so I'd like to know if this is likely to be a problems with the router or with Comcast.

Until recently our connection has always been solid, but now it constantly connects and disconnects.
I'm going to call Comcast tomorrow, but I'd like to know something about what's happening before I do.

I lease the router so they will send my a new one if that's the problem.

Desktop Doctor generated a error code but I couldn't find a list of codes online.

This is the code... 0365-7002-0011-0105

Any information would be helpful.

Mike

It sounds like it could be a couple things... your ISP provider is doing something screwy or maybe updating system. Generally ISP's never tell when they are doing maintenance of anykind unless it's something really major that will effect a large number of it's subscribers. The other possiblities are your modem and router. For what ever reason they just act up from time to time....doing a hard reset on them might help if you haven't all ready. Just uplug AC adapter from AC outlet for 30 t0 60 seconds and then plug them back in. On the router you can do a factory reset by pushing the little button on back of unit, you'll need a paper clip to slide in that little hole to hit the reset button and hold it down for 15 to 30 seconds.

Hi

Thanks for the info.

I've reset it a dozen times, that usually makes it work for a while.
Right now it's working and has been for hours.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, if it acts up again I'll call them.

Thanks again...

Mike

Well this post originally appeared in the wrong place but I noticed that my new post did too.
After I closed it and opened it again it move to where it should be.

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks for the info.

I've reset it a dozen times, that usually makes it work for a while.
Right now it's working and has been for hours.

I'll keep my fingers crossed, if it acts up again I'll call them.

Thanks again...

Mike

If you also have phone service from COMCAST there is a battery in the modem so a power cycle does little. You need to push the reset button in the back of the modem.

Hi

No phone or TV, just internet.

It's still working, I'm hoping that the problem has resolved itself.

This is the longest it has stayed on for weeks.

Mike

Your service provider should have a place you can check for outages. I know, hard to do if you can't get online, unless you have a dial-up alternate. But they might show things like disruptions in service or scheduled maintenance activities you could connect to your problems. In some cases, after working hours, their system might be reconfigured, so time of day may be important.

One of the things I watch are the lights on the router. If they are on an steady (at least one), then that is a good sign. You would have to check your devices for which lights indicate what. I used to be able to plug my cable into my TV to make sure it was working, but the digital age has pretty much stopped that... :wink:

Something I forgot, your router firmware might need to be updated. Generally when it starts to act up and firmware update fixes it. Worth a try.

Hi

Thanks for the information.
I never thought about updating the firmware.

My router has 6 lights that are always on when it's working.
They have some times been on when I couldn't connect but they have also be going off and flickering a lot recently, which isn't normal.

I have now been connected for over 24 hours without it's going down do I'm hoping that the issue is fixed.

It was disconnecting several times in and hour the day before yesterday.
I have to say that I've had Comcast for years and it has almost always been very reliable and fast.
But I have a friend who was having similar problems a few months ago and had to replace his router.

Thanks again for the responses.

Mike

Hi

The Comcast guy came today, and checked everything out.
Problems with the outside connection caused spiking in the signal and fried the router.

He said the upload signal was off his meter.

Anyway he replaced all the out side connectors from the pole in, removed some kind of filter they don't use anymore from the pole and installed a new router.
Things are much faster, and the laptop connects right away.

So that's taken care of.

Mike

Well, that's the last place I would have looked into...good call. I'm glad it's all sorted.

Back