Windows 8 internet disconnected increases speed to network

aqus

I have been trying to figure out a problem since over a year and today by fluke I think I stumbled on something.
I have a program installed on my server which I access from my office pc. Connecting to it is very slow.
Today I lost internet connectivity because of provider problems.
I connected to my server using remote connection and it instantly opened while before it took about 10 seconds.
My internet came back on and it was slow again. Disconnected internet to my 3com gigabyte switch box and again opens instantly and my software I mentioned earlier also opened right away.
So If I disconnect internet to my system access to server is great as soon as I reconnect internet all goes slow.
Server have server essentials 2012. Main computer is wired to switch on windows 8.1
Tried disconnecting both anti virus and firewalls on both computer and it doesn't make a difference.
Where can I look?
Internet speed is not a problem as it tests to 52.63Mbps download and 48.93Mbps upload.

It's all about the name resolution available to your client machines and how they parse it regarding FQDNs (Fully Qualified Domain Names) by DNS and NetBIOS Names usually handled by WINS or the NetBIOS Helper Service.
You can avoid problematic name resolution on your LAN (Local Area Network) if you use the IP address of the Server, rather than the NetBIOS name when communicating with it.
If you configure your drive mapping or share shortcuts to use 192.168.1.xxx or whatever internal private reserved name space and associated IP address you are using rather than the NetBIOS Name it will work more realiably and faster.
IE
\\192.168.1.10\ShareName
Instead of
\\ServerName\ShareName

Tried and didn't make a difference. And wouldn't that matter if I was or wasn't connected to internet?

And wouldn't that matter if I was or wasn't connected to internet?
Nope, internal private IP addressing does not involve a default gateway / router nor name resolution of any type if all your machines are on the same private subnet.

Ok tried again and your right using 192.168... works instantly now. But my softawre program I can<t see where to change. Can I just have my pc automatically use 192.168... for everything as default.

No not really... you can use something like an LMhost file to resolve IP address to NetBIOS names (Google it) it's not very handy, so......
You might be better off considering adding the WINS server role to your server and pointing all your clients to the WINS server for NetBIOS name resolution.
Additionally you may want to double check and make sure all your machines have the Computer Browser service starting automatically as well as the NetBIOS Helper service. Just check
services.msc
on all the machines. And....
You may want to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP in the IP v 4 properties of your network cards on all your machines.
Sometimes those two little things help with NetBIOS resolution.

I just realized that I was giving you all this NetBIOS information junk and never asked you if you were running DNS on your server. I'm not too familiar with the Essentials version of Windows Server 2k12 but if you have it running and it is working properly so as all your machine's have their names and ip address ("A" records) registered then if you add that DNS server address to the number one spot as preferred DNS server on each client then it should work fine.
DNS works great for local name resolution but if you're not using other components of Active Directory it might be a bit over kill.

Last edited:
Got I new modem from my internet provider(new generation modem) and guess what all works great now. Wierd

Back