Windows 7 Internet dropping somewhat randomly, not sure how to debug

mouser58907

I have been unable to find a solution to this problem, though there are many similar to it out there. We have 3 computers that are always being used in the house, 2 wired, 1 wireless. All of which have up to date drivers. This definitely started happening right when I switched to windows 7. I found online that it was an issue with my motherboard. However, I bought a new computer this summer and it still happens. (Its been going on for about 6 months) We now all run w7. The only time it ALWAYS drops, its right when one of us turns our computer on. It will drop right when it turns on, and about every 2-5 minutes after that for maybe 20-30 minutes. After all the computers have been on for a while it seems to stop doing it. We also bought a new router and modem trying to fix/debug the problem. When it drops, it goes to the red 'x' for about 2 seconds, then reconnects. I have no idea what it could be, and would appreciate any help on how to debug it.

Thanks,

Craig

First make sure that there is no duplication or machine names or ip addresses these need to be unique for each machine on the network. Second open task manager and look under the processess tab for a program called mdnsresponder.exe, if present you will need to take steps to disable or uninstall it. It can be installed as part of several software packages like iTunes, Adobe CS3 and CS4 as well as a few others. Take a look at this link if it's present in taskmanager. What is mDNSResponder.exe / Bonjour and How Can I Uninstall or Remove It? - How-To Geek

Last edited:
Glad to hear that you were able to resolve your issue. Thanks for joining Windows 7 Forums and posting your questions here and following up with the update, hope to continue to see you around the forums.

Unfortunately I spoke too soon. It seems to be dropping again. However I did find that there are two "Kyle-PC"'s on the DHCP chart in my linksys router. I just found out my roommate is using two wireless adapters at the same time because he thinks it drops less, could that be causing it?

Back