Internet Explorer 9 RC Now Live

Re: IE 9 Update

I regret to inform you all the Kemical is currently suffering the hardware blues - he can't run any of the tests in the preview worth **** ;) :D

I regret to inform you all the Kemical is currently suffering the hardware blues - he can't run any of the tests in the preview worth **** ;) :D

Thanks for that Mitchell, I'll make sure I give you a good kick when your down too.. ;) Seriously though, I'm now trying to find out what the actual problem is..

Sorted..

I got rid of a trojan the other day and it seems to have done more damage than I originally thought. A simple re-install cured it.

Internet Explorer 9 (IE9) Beta will launch tomorrow, September 15th, 2010, with downloads scheduled to go live as early as 10:30 AM Pacific time, and there’s absolutely every reason to get very very excited.

I’ve received some very juicy details on the first Beta development milestone of IE9, but even though my fingers are absolutely burning, I won’t ruin Microsoft’s event tomorrow.

I will say that the Redmond company has shared the IE9 Beta with a select number of testers for a few weeks now, but just a very small group actually got to see the bits, which is evident from the fact that there was no leak of the release this time around, despite some promises to the contrary.

I will also tell you that the software giant has cooked some amazing User Interface (UI) details that are bound to be the delight of end users.

But the fact of the matter is that IE9 Beta is now just hours away, and as such users will need to exercise their patience just a tad longer.

At the same time, there are a plethora of features to get excited about, details that have already been unveiled to the public via the four Platform Preview releases of IE9.

I’m in San Francisco and I’ve just attended a small event designed as the Welcome Reception for the IE9 Big Bang from tomorrow. (pictures at the bottom of this article)

At the SOMArts Cultural Center, the Redmond company unveiled a mind-blowing new application set up to take advantage of all the technology built into Internet Explorer 9, but especially HTM5 support.

Endless Mural (www.endlessmural.com) is a project that offers users an interactive and collaborative website in HTML5.

Designed and developed by Joshua Davis Studios and Automata Studios, Endless Mural is the result of the collaboration between a few very talented people including, Joshua Davis, Ben Arditti and Mark Oliver Drilon, Branden Hall, Joel Stransky and Eric Fickes.

Made possible with the support of Microsoft and Internet Explorer 9, the project is a fully-fledged HTML5 application that is live today, and available to the public. It took approximately five weeks to put together.

In addition to bringing Internet Explorer 9 HTM5 support into the spotlight, Endless Mural is an excellent example of the applications that devs can now build, not just for IE9, but for the web.

Microsoft did not want Endless Mural to be in any way limited to IE9. As users will be able to see for themselves, the app works seamlessly across all modern browsers that support HTML5.

I’ve talked with a few members of the team, including Joshua and I must tell you that they did not hide in the least the enthusiasm over the kind of user experiences possible in the context of writing code once, and having it run seamlessly across all browsers.

They underlined that it’s not really a matter over browser plug-ins (Flash, Silverlight) vs. HTML5, but rather about the experiences that will be available right in the browser.

Sites built with HTML5 are not limited to the desktop, but span across a wide range of devices, as long as the browsers they include support the technology.

The team behind the project even demonstrated Endless Mural to me on such a mobile device, and the results are equally impressive, especially considering the slow speed of 3G.

While there is still much to be done until HTML5 will be a finalized standard, Microsoft has made an important contribution to accelerating its adoption with the support offered in Internet Explorer 9.

Endless Mural for examples required extremely little tailoring to specific browsers, showing that same markup can indeed become a reality, as soon as browser vendors, standards groups and developers will come to a consensus in relation to the technologies which need to be supported, and a consistent implementation across all browsers.

After I spoke with the people behind Endless Mural, I also had a chat with Jason Weber, Lead Program Manager for IE Performance.

I mentioned to him that Endless Mural appeared hardware accelerated, but that the developers which put together the project did not mention doing any work in this sense.

This is precisely one of the advantages of Internet Explorer 9, Weber revealed. Whether devs create HTML4 or HTML5 projects they will automatically benefit from hardware acceleration in IE9.

Microsoft’s next generation of IE is the first fully hardware accelerated browser, which means that even existing HTML websites will benefit from the extra horsepower offered by the GPU.

Remember, Microsoft launches IE9 Beta tomorrow, an event which you don’t want to miss, especially since the company has some surprises in store.

Ref: Link Removed - Invalid URL

According to the above, the beta will be released in roughly 9hrs time. Check back for the download links as soon as they are available they'll be posted..

Wow this thing is fast... First look seems favourable...

Agreed - :D
I love the new UI and continued speed. Also the cross-compatibility with (almost?) all Internet Explorer 8 addons.

Will post more as I get into it - just downloaded and restarted (required) a few moments ago.
Seems to replace IE 8, as expected.

Decided I would give it a look see.
Overall the interface seems a bit Chrome like.
One strange thing that I noticed is that the back button does not always go back with a refresh. Especially on this site, haven't spent much time investigating other sites. But after clicking the back button I seem to often have to F5 it or click the refresh button in order to see the page updated.
Have you guys noticed anything similar?

Only thing on my end is the address bar gets glitched with whatever address was in the last tab.. Though I think that must be caused by some AVG addon that apparently takes over 1.0 second to initialize for each new session/tab.

I'm liking the ability to add links to the start menu/taskbar and have the browser open instantly to that specific page.

Mitchell:
64 bit or 32 bit?
Interestingly enough the 64bit download updated both 32 and 64 bit versions of IE8 to IE9 on my machine. The 32 bit version seems to act a little better, or at least more predictably. But the 64 bit version has a few kinks, one as I mentioned before with the back button not doing a full refresh when it goes back and the other is I am noticing some residual menu artifacts from the browser remaining on my screen even after the browser is closed.

Hmm.. I've been using the 32bit version. No cookies enabled yet? Does seem a little clunky in places but it is a beta after all.. Much improved over IE8 but does it beat my beloved Chrome 7??? Maybe.. Time will tell.

Yep, they don't call it beta for nothing. I prepared accordingly with a restore point and complete system image with Acronis. I wonder if they will follow with a couple release candidates before a regular release RTM/Windows Update. Anyhow, I'm going to play with it for a while longer but if I can't make it behave itself then, I think I'll just revert back and wait for the next iteration.

I have downloaded and installed the 64X version of , Internet Explorer 9 Beta . Must say in the short time I have used it I am impressed . Will continue to use it and try to overcome any problems that may ensue .

OK, has anyone logged off this site and attempted to log back on.
If so are you able to see the "Remember Me" check box in IE9, either 32 or 64 bit. Just wondering because now I have to log back on everytime I close my IE9 browser.

Thanks Mitchell
I guess I'll play some more, experiment with different screen resolutions, etc. It's probably just me and my machine, I think the rodent on the excercise wheel inside is getting lazy.

Thanks Mitchell
I guess I'll play some more, experiment with different screen resolutions, etc. It's probably just me and my machine, I think the rodent on the excercise wheel inside is getting lazy.

Same here.. Couldn't find the 'Remember me' box until I clicked on a post whilst still logged out it was then it became apparent. Once ticked and logged in, site remembers me as per normal..

Back