Windows 8 Internet Explorer can't open Comcast home page?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Today I decided to open Windows 7 Forums in Internet Explorer, to see if the problem with cutting and pasting in this forum, was caused by Google Chrome.

What I discovered was that Internet Explorer won't open my Comcast Home Page.

I get a message that flashes on the screen that says something about problems opening Comcast caused Internet Explorer to switch to compatibility mode.

When I persisted in trying to get it to open something comcast related IE crashed.

I was able to open this forum but I've found a few other pages that flash the same message and then just display a blank page.

Anyone have any idea what's going on.

When I first got my new computer a few months ago and tried to use IE the same thing happened.

Then I just went back to Chrome and forgot about it.

This is the address.

XFINITY by Comcast -- OfficialCustomer Site | Email | Watch TV Online

By the way I can cut and paste in this forum in IE but not in Chrome so that problem has something to do with that browser.

Computers are too complicated.

IE is now telling me I need to restart my computer, so we'll see what happens.

Bye for now!

Mike

Put evertything into compatibility mode, Mike, and see if it makes a difference. Tools - compatibility settings.

Hi

I'll try that.

By the way I just this instant figure out why I can't cut and paste in this forum.

I remember having this issue before and it has to do with how the editor mode is set in the upper left corner of the compose screen.

The A/A thingy.

The A/A thingy.

The A/A thingy.

Woo Hoo!

Mike

Hi

I can't find anyplace to tell it to put everything in compatibility mode.

Mike

Hi Dave

I just don't see anything about compatibility under tools?

Here's a screenshot of what happens.

xfinity clip.JPG

Mike

Hi

Ok, I got the tool bar to show, and I set everything to compatibility mode.
That stoped the message saying that it needed to switch to comaptibiltiy mode but it still won't display the page.

I'm writing this in IE do it works for other pages, just not Comcast.

Here's what it looks like now....

IE no home.JPG

Very strange, it two links that show aren't active.

I'll go through my links from Chrome and see it there are any others that don't open.

What happens when other people open this link...

http://xfinity.comcast.net/

Mike

Ps. I just realised that I had posted about this same issue last year.
My memory is going, I probably fix the same thing 5 times. LOL

I also found that other people have the same issue with Comcast and IE 10.

I didn't really find any solutions.

I'm not going to worry about it since I found that it's not just me.

I'll just stick with Chrome.

Last edited by a moderator:
What bit is your IE browser...64 or 32? I know that some 64 bit browsers, and there's only a few that I know of, have trouble with some webpages that strictly use the 32 bit format. Since IE 10 in widows 8 is only 64 bit, that very well maybe the issue or some sort of cookie or the cache that is corrupted or even possibly an addon or plugin the IE is using as Mitchell_A has suggested.

View attachment 1445

Don't give up, Mike. IE10 should be 64 or 32Bit compatible. Follow the item I have arrowed in my picture, and either select it or unselect it, according to what it shows at present. unticking the item makes the browser a lot more compatible with older web sites.

But I would have thought the compatibility suggestion would have done the trick?
Just to recap,

Click on ‘Compatibility View Settings’ and under ‘Add this website’ and type the web address and click on ‘Add’.

Now try to access the website.
A deeper approach.

Click on Tools - F12 Developer Tools. Click on the Browser Mode:10, menu and select Internet Explorer 8 or 9.
That must surely do the trick

Later:
I have just tried, I think, every relevant setting in IE 10. Whatever alteration I made, I was still able to open the Comcast home site? So now I suspect it is some third party protection you have running on your computer. Question would be - Why would it try to protect you from that particular site? By the way, I don't know if it is connected, but you do have java and Flash installed?
Sorry, back again. Just read the preceding post. Actually, if you are in a 64Bit OS, then IE10 is both 32Bit and 64Bit. Enabling the enhanced mode, as I suggested, makes the default for tabs, 64Bit.

View attachment 1445

Don't give up, Mike. IE10 should bes 64 or 32Bit compatible. Follow the item I have arrowed in my picture, and either select it or unselect it, according to what it shows at present. unticking the item makes the browser a lot more compatible with older web sites.

But I would have thought the compatibility suggestion would have done the trick?
Just to recap,

Click on ‘Compatibility View Settings’ and under ‘Add this website’ and type the web address and click on ‘Add’.

Now try to access the website.
A deeper approach.

Click on Tools - F12 Developer Tools. Click on the Browser Mode:10, menu and select Internet Explorer 8 or 9.
That must surely do the trick

Later:
I have just tried, I think, every relevant setting in IE 10. Whatever alteration I made, I was still able to open the Comcast home site? So now I suspect it is some third party protection you have running on your computer. Question would be - Why would it try to protect you from that particular site? By the way, I don't know if it is connected, but you do have java and Flash installed?
Sorry, back again. Just read the preceding post. Actually, if you are in a 64Bit OS, then IE10 is both 32Bit and 64Bit. Enabling the enhanced mode, as I suggested, makes the default for tabs, 64Bit.

So good stuff here Dave, nice find. Hell I just learned something new.

No Luck!

I tried the things suggested...

Tools open 01.JPG

Comcast has been added.

Tools open 02.JPG

You can see at the bottom of the screen that it is in IE 7 compatibility mode.

I want to make clear that when I posted about this last year it was on a different computer but running Windows 8.

This computer is only a couple of months old.

So this isn't something that I'm only seeing on my new computer.

As far as something blocking it, if it is it doesn't block it in Chrome.
It weird because it doesn't open the header, but not the rest of the page.

As far as Add-ons the only thing shown as active is Microsoft Silverlight.

Mike

Hi

I started going through all my links from Chrome, opening each one in IE, and most work but when I got to The Elder Scrolls web page I got the same problem...

Elder Scrolls Online.JPG

It's also interesting to see how the 2 browsers IE and Chrome show the same page at the same size side by side.

It appears that Chrome does a better job of arranging things to fit in the space available.

Side by Side.JPG

So it isn't just Comcast, there is something different about these pages that IE can't handle.

I have no idea why it doesn't show any web page just like any other browser.

Mike

And confirm you do have Java installed, Mike. looking at the source, the home page appears to run on Java. - Maybe those other pages also?

Hi

Same thing in No Add Ons mode, both for Comcast and The Elder Scrolls Online.
It can't display either page.

Mike

Back