Windows 8 Internet is working but Ethernet adapter is not

squareofj

I'm trying to set up a router, but the setup keeps telling me that my Ethernet adapter is not working. The Ethernet adapter troubleshooting tells me that the computer is configured correctly but the DNS server is not responding. (During this time the Internet is working as I have the cable plugged in to the computer.) I have the adapter set to automatically find the DNS server. I have run ipconfig/flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns to no avail. Do I need to get another network adapter? My laptop is probably at least 6 years old, and this problem started after I upgraded to 8 from XP - I had the router set up just fine on the old version. Thanks for your help!

step 1 is go to the device manager... [windows key] + [x]. Any driver conflicts will show up here as unknown devices.
dm.png

Hi

Try uninstalling the network device in Device Manager and rebooting.
It will force Windows to detect, reinstall it and configure drivers for it.

Mike

That 21 subnet mask (i.e. 255.255.248.0) is a bit unusual… is it set that way because the service provider needs it?

Is the 69.255.27.227 number a static one because your dhcp (69.252.67.5) looks to be outside the range?

My math may be out a bit but your gateway lives at 69.255.24.1 and if we count 11 hosts from that we get a range of 69.255.24.1 to 69.255.31.255 which is well sort of 67 net your dhcp lives on.

p.s. are you sure it shouldn't be 255.248.0.0 perhap?

Last edited:
Mike, I did try the uninstall/reboot but that didn't solve the problem, unfortunately. ussnorway, I'm not sure about those settings - I don't think I set them up that way. On the other hand, I haven't made any changes to those settings (at least not on purpose) and the Ethernet was working fine about a month ago, presumably with the same settings.

Was this computer at a different place before, like an office?
To make them work as they are you would have to have some kind of network interface i.e. a physical old style network switch or a software one like an Edian firewall. I assume you haven’t removed any parts from the network so that only leaves a setting error.
1. Try temp changing your subnet to 255.248.0.0 … thus should at least allow your computer to see the whole network.
2. Then contact your service provider and ask them to send you a "how to" for connecting to their system.

I'm trying to set up a router, but the setup keeps telling me that my Ethernet adapter is not working. The Ethernet adapter troubleshooting tells me that the computer is configured correctly but the DNS server is not responding. (During this time the Internet is working as I have the cable plugged in to the computer.) I have the adapter set to automatically find the DNS server. I have run ipconfig/flushdns and ipconfig /registerdns to no avail. Do I need to get another network adapter? My laptop is probably at least 6 years old, and this problem started after I upgraded to 8 from XP - I had the router set up just fine on the old version. Thanks for your help!

If you are "trying to set up a router" can you please advise us as to the Manufacturer's Name, Model Name, Model Number and any other identifying tags on the "router"
The current time that "the internet is working" you have the cable plugged from your Comcast Modem directly into your computer and that IP configuration that you have displayed above is typical of a comcast setup and that is likely why the internet is working.

That would be the cable that you would typically plug into the WAN port of your "router". And then from one of the switch ports on the "router" you would typically plug into your ethernet port on your computer where you currently have the Comcast Modem direct connection plugged in.

If we knew the make and model of the router that is giving you problems we might be able to help further, perhaps a firmware upgrade from the device manufacturer if available.

But for now I am assuming that you have a publicly addressable IP configuration because you are going directly from your Comcast device (likely an ARRIS modem) to your ethernet port on your machine rather that to your WAN port on your router.

Back