Windows 7 ip renewal in windows 7

enferzio

Hey guys, well I lost connection to my 2wire wireless router when I powered up my laptop after shutting it down last night.

I tried a number of ways to fix it but to no avail. I looked to see if my laptop's network adapter was being weird but it had no problems whatsoever and my network adapter driver is fine.

I deduced that my laptop has to have it's IP renewed?

So I was wondering, how do you guys do IP renewal in Windows 7?

I'm currently connected to my router via an ethernet cable. Wirelessly at the moment, I can't connect to the internet.

Anyone know how to resolve this issue?

Thank you..

Sincerely,

enferzio

type cmd in the search bar then the command prompt will pop up. then after C:\documents and settings\your name> type ipconfig /release and press enter. Once you've done that tpye in ipconfig /renew and press enter. let us know what happens

well I got a weird message saying "No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its media disconnected."

Not sure what that means.

well I got a weird message saying "No operation can be performed on Wireless Network Connection while it has its media disconnected."

Not sure what that means.

lets see...your on a 2wire router...so your on dsl from say ATT, correct? If thats true, then you have a static IP and the release / renew may not work. So next step....go to control panel> network and sharing> change adapter settings> then right click on whatever connection your using (LAN if your hardwired in or wireless)and go to Properties. Highlight TCP/IP v4 and hit Properties in that same window. Does it say obtain address automatically or is there an address there?

And give some specs on what type of laptop it is

Last edited:
Laptop Specs:

Gateway MX7122
RAM: 512 MB
HDD: 69.0 GB

TCP/IP v4 says "obtain address automatically"

also, another weird thing is that there is a Wireless Network Connection 2 that's showin' up on my Network Connections

and yes, you're also correct on ATT DSL =)

I have no idea what happened though... there was a windows update I installed last night after shutting down my comp..

(not that tech savvy)

i'm not sure what you mean by using wireless via cat 5 =(

right now I'm using an ethernet cable connected to my 2wire router to access the internet...

its just that.. the wireless is being strange.. Windows can't connect to it

cat 5 is the ethernet cable. If your connected with the cable, then your using a LAN or Local Area Network. Your wireless connection is not of use at this point.....so let me get this right...you have a local area connection and 2 wireless connections?

yes I am on a LAN and there are two wireless network connections, the second wireless network connection I don't know where that came from, it wasn't there before

yes I am on a LAN and there are two wireless network connections, the second wireless network connection I don't know where that came from, it wasn't there before
We'll try to keep this easy....everything you do you will be able to back out of....first lets eliminate any possible conflicts...right click on each of the 2 wireless connections and disable them....then I want you to go back to the cmd prompt from before and try the ip config /release and ipconfig /renew again. It has to be typed just as that, any syntax mistakes will make it not work...ok?:)

Ok, well I did what you told me to do and so I got this screenshot of what happened in Command Prompt

Did it seem to work? And I don't see the Wireless Network Connection 2 anymore on the Network area thing

Link Removed due to 404 Error

So your ok now? I have to get rolling...are you ok now? If not my next step would be to power down the router....let it sit a min and power it up to let it try to resynchronize......then repost...I'll be back in a few

Edit* ok saw the pic.....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom