Windows 7 Is it possible to have a legal version of Windows 7 right now?

Shadowdancer

Hi. I joined primarily to ask this single question.
Is it possible to legally own a Windows 7 Ultimate version right now?

I'm asking because I saw a PC in an on-line store, which had the Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit version installed.
I am tempted to buy it, really, but I'm afraid I could get into trouble for piracy and stuff.

So, is Ultimate already available to select retailers, or is it a pirated version?

Excellent!
I would also want to get more RAM later on, so Iam wondering... will I need to pay to switch from the 32-bit to 64-bit version?

If you purchase it preloaded,,, probably.
All Retail Versions come with both 32bit and 64bit disks
I would check with the company you purchase your next system from to get more details.
Also, check with MS to see if they have some way of getting the 64bit for free or cheap, they might.

read the fine print carefully

Hi. I joined primarily to ask this single question.
Is it possible to legally own a Windows 7 Ultimate version right now?

I'm asking because I saw a PC in an on-line store, which had the Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit version installed.
I am tempted to buy it, really, but I'm afraid I could get into trouble for piracy and stuff.

So, is Ultimate already available to select retailers, or is it a pirated version?

To answer your first question, Yes it is possible to own a completely legal RTM version of Windows 7 and have it completely legally activated! This option is only available to Technet Plus and Microsoft Connect members at this time, though.

To answer your query about a PC advertised from an online store, I would expect that there is some fine print associated with this offer. I don't believe that Microsoft would fully condone early release of a computer with Windows 7 pre-installed to the public. This would give that particular retailer an unfair advantage. The fine print that goes with the offer that you refer to probably says something about a certificate for a free upgrade (from the pre-installed Vista) to Windows 7 after October 22 or something about delivery not before Oct 22. I have not seen the offer that you refer to, but it is unlikely that they are going to sell you a computer with a properly installed and activated version of Windows 7 prior to Oct 22. (A retail store employee may be able to buy one and "sneak it out the back door" and go ahead and start using it, but I doubt that the retailer could make such an offer to the general public before Oct 22.)

edit: I am not certain about what costs would be involved with an upgrade from 32 to 64 bit, but the upgrade would require a format and new full install.

John has said it all.

If the retailer is large enough to be a full Partner at manufacturer and retail level, then he certainly has the facility, but is risking his partnership with Microsoft.

I would imagine, at this stage, that the catch migh be the watermark.

I am not a manufacturer, but am a full parner and Technet subscriber. Yes, I have legal downloads and activated installations. But they do come with some regulations regarding their use. This restricts the user very much to his own premises. Whilst the system can, and often is, abused, the perpetrators are easily traced through the dedicated activation mechanism, and the penalty, whilst not landing anyone in jail, is very expensive with a permanent loss of all Microsoft priviliges..

Back
Top Bottom