Windows 8 Is it possible to move a User folder?

DatTastyBacon

So I want to move my User folder called james_000 from my Windows (C) drive into my Local Disk (D) drive. Is there any easy and fast way to do this? I'm running out of space in my Windows (C) drive and this one folder holds 60 gigabits of data. Thanks for your help in advance!

Hi

Don't think you can move the whole Users folder, but you could move the contents of some of the folders to another drive.
I.e. Move the contents of your Downloads, Photos, Documents and other folders that have a lot of stuff in them to another drive.

I did find this in the Microsoft help section, see if it addresses any of your problems...

Hi,

Thank you for choosing Windows 8 and thanks for providing us an opportunity to assist you.

As per the description provided, it looks like you are trying to changes the user location path. You can't move the entire 'Users' stuff but you can redirect 'My Documents' to another drive which will save the disc space.

This will help the user is he is trying to save anything on the documents it will save on the new location.

Refer the steps mention below:

a. Open up the Explorer (Windows Key + E).
b. Expand Documents folder to see the folder My Documents in the sidebar.
c. Right-click on the folder My Documents and click on “Properties”.
d. Go to the tab “Location”.
e. Click on the button Move.
f. Navigate to the folder where you want to move your “My Documents” folder to.
g. After clicking on Select Folder in we’re back on the folder location screen. Eventually, to move the My Documents folder, click on Apply.
h. Confirm the prompt with yes if you are sure that you want to move the My Documents folder.

I think that you can probably do this with any sub folder that contains bulky files etc.

Mike

I'd move the bulk of data to a d drive folder but leave the user folder itself on the c drive because most programs expect to find it there.

It's easy enough to place a shortcut in the users folder that points to the d drive area for navigation.

Back
Top Bottom