Windows 8 Is there a way to make the start screen not create 2 columns for 2 Icons?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

Because I have a lot of stuff it's kind of a pain that Windows 8 start screen adds 2 new columns when I add 2 items to a block of programs.

I end up with all these categories that have 2 or 3 icons off to the side when one new column would do it in a much more compact format. Some categories could be only one column but it still insists on using 2.

Am I missing something some place in the settings or something?

I wanted to post a screenshot but none of my screen capture software seems to work in Metro.
Snipping tool, Camstudio, and Fraps all close the Metro screen as soon as I activate them.

Mike

You can use your Print Screen or PrintScr key to take a screenshot of the Metro screen, then paste into Paint or Photoshop so you can explain better.

Hi

If it's saving an image anyplace when I hit print screen I can't find it.

Mike

Hi Again

OK, it's Windows Key plus Print Screen.

MetroWastedSpace_zps7faa0655.jpg

This is typical of what I get all the way across, the Office and Text category could be one column.
several of the other could be a column less then they take, but it insists on adding two columns when one would do?

Mike

I believe it adds it as two columns regardless because there are also 1x2 and 2x2 tiles etc, I'm not sure that you can change this without some hacking. I just use Classic Shell as the Metro Start Screen annoys the piss out of me still. (I don't know if it'll even catch on with me). Maybe someone else knows different and can comment.

Hi

I use Classic Shell too, and Modern Mix, but I still access a few things on the Metro screen and have it organised.
But with over 100 applications and over 400 icons on the all apps page it's kind of a pain, and having it put in a lot of extra spaces doesn't help.

I didn't think about the fact that there are wide tiles, you're probably right about the reason that it adds two rows every time.
It would be nice if it was smart enough to know when it's not needed.

I use RocketDock on my desktop to organise the stuff that I use all the time.
I've used it since Windows 7 first came out, I was disappointed that 8.1 didn't add a custom start menu windows that let you add just the normal stuff you use everyday, but I had issues with drivers in it, and had to go back to version 8 anyway.

Mike

PS. I spent some time organising and got rid of a lot of stuff I didn't need and the empty space...

MetroOrganised_zps41b88e88.jpg

Last edited:
Back