Windows 7 Is there a way to make window re index the files system?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi

I have been having problems with Windows Search, it finds files that are not there, and won't find some files that are.

This relates mostly to a program that was uninstalled and then reinstalled in a new location on my D:\ drive.

It has a lot of texture files etc. that go with the program but were not part of the install, that were moved from the original location to the new one by copying and pasting them then the original location was deleted.

When I run Windows search it still shows them in the original place not where they are now. The original folder no longer exists but still comes up in a search.

When I use Locate32 it just plain doesn't see the files.

Is there a way to force Windows to go through the drive and re index it?
If not I may move the entire folder off to my external drive then reinstall again and move them back in again.

Mike

• Click to open Indexing Options.
  • Click Advanced. Link Removed due to 404 Error If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • In the Advanced Options dialog box, click the Index Settings tab, and then click Rebuild. Link Removed due to 404 Error If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
As far as Locate 32 goes look under file and start update data bases

Thanks Sarge!

I'll give it a shot.
I can't get to the image you posted Where do I open Indexing Options?

Mike

Never mind I found it!

Last edited:
It just got done re-indexing my hard drives over 256, 000 objects.
That took for ever!!!

Just back to say that did the trick.
Windows search now finds all the files in their correct locations.

Thanks for the help Sarge!

Mike

Back