Windows 7 Is there a way to lock just the settings?

AngryDavid 808

Hello, y'all! So happy to be here!
I'll just get down straight to it. So, we have a laptop at church that everyone uses for presentation purposes and such, I supervise it every once in a while. For whatever reason, everytime I check on it, I find that someone tampered with the resolution settings (God knows why that in specific) so I wanted to lock JUST the control panel without making a new user that I can strip out the permissions from. What I want is a way to apply a password that gets asked for every time a change in the settings is made, much more like what you see on modern versions of Linux, where every change in settings and every sudo command requires you to enter a password to confirm the change. Is there a way to replicate that restriction so I don't have to dig behind smarter-than-tho wannabes the next time I check on the laptop? Thank you in advance!
Regards.

i think the better idea is to just save settings you like instead of trying to be a nazi over the controls...yes there are lots of nany bot type software and passwords to lock everything up and anyone that understands computers like most 5 year kids are going to know how to get around those locks so it just becomes a pointless arms race

if the only reason you want to lock things up is so the rez [or whatever else] stays the way you like it then a better option is to simply have your own account remember everything how you want it and another 'guess' account people can mess around in then signing into your account just resets everything back to how you want it

p.s, i'm willing to bet the guy changing resolution settings needs the words bigger to read them

i think the better idea is to just save settings you like instead of trying to be a nazi over the controls...yes there are lots of nany bot type software and passwords to lock everything up and anyone that understands computers like most 5 year kids are going to know how to get around those locks so it just becomes a pointless arms race

if the only reason you want to lock things up is so the rez [or whatever else] stays the way you like it then a better option is to simply have your own account remember everything how you want it and another 'guess' account people can mess around in then signing into your account just resets everything back to how you want it

p.s, i'm willing to bet the guy changing resolution settings needs the words bigger to read them
Placing my bets on that assumption too! They could at least reverse the changes, but anyways. Honestly, that's the option I don't want to resort to. Activating the Guest account will only confuse people more on which account to choose, the guest account resets when you log out (which is bad considering half the time data gets left on the desktop) and I honestly highly doubt they can even find their way around protection if there's any. So, if there's any kind of software I could use to achieve my goal, your suggestion would be appreciated! Thank you for your assistance.
Regards.

EDIT: Forgot to add that the last time the settings were tampered with, for whatever reason Windows 7 reads 2 screens instead of 1 as you would expect. Only setting one of them will cause display issues on the projector's end. This was the case. When duplicating the displays though, everything looks normal just how you'd expect.

Last edited:
Back