Windows 10 A way to lock folders?

tvzzz

I manage an online historic archive for a local historical society. We have many documents, pictures, etc., posted in a Dropbox account, and provide links for all who desire.

I'm concerned that one of us (me or one of the volunteers who has access to the account/collection) might someday inadvertently delete or change something. I would like a way to put a lock on the folder that contains the collection, in order to prevent changes unless a person consciously unlocks it to make intended changes.

Does Windows have such a tool? If not, do you know of a way to do this through some add-on utility program?

Well #1 I would setup a backup such as Carbonite so if something happens you can roll back. There isn't really a locking feature in Windows. You could do one of the following

Remove all but read access to the directory. (Members of the administrators group would have to consciously re-add write access)

Get software such as deep freeze. You mark directories as frozen. Even if you delete the folder a simple reboot will roll it back. When you want to change the directory you put the directory in thaw mode, change and refreeze

Back