Is there an issue with passwords containg an ampersand?

Discussion in 'Windows 7 Help and Support' started by jvm, Feb 27, 2011.

1. jvm

jvm New Member

I just bought a new Dell Inspiron with Windows 7 installed. I went through the setup and created a password containing an &. I entered the password twice and it was accepted. I wrote it down so I would not forget. Now it tells me "The user name or password is incorrect." I called Dell support and they indicated that the & is not supported in passwords. I got no such indication when I created it. Now they are sending a tech to install a new hard drive. I'm very frustrated; I have a brand new pc I can't use. Could the ampersand be an issue? I even tried entering the p/w without the & and of course that did not work either.

2. MikeHawthorne

MikeHawthorne Essential Member
    Microsoft Community Contributor

Hi

You can check out the post...

Solved Forgotten Password Workaround? - Windows 7 Forums

I've never done it myself but I'm told it can be done.

http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/102005-reset-user-account-password.html

This is why I never create a password to get into my computer! LOL
    It's not like you have a lot to lose if it doesn't work.

And to "Not Really" answer your question, I don't think you can use some characters in Windows passwords that are part of the dos computer language since they still mean something to the computer, but I don't remember if that includes a "&".

Mike

#2 MikeHawthorne, Feb 27, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  3. jvm

jvm New Member

Thanks Mike. I followed the instructions on that link. After many false starts (it took me some time to figure out how to change the boot preference - F2 Setup - I finally got it to work. I'm in!! I appreciate your help.