Windows 8 Is windows.iso updated?

Hi all,

I had windows 8.1 up-to-date until yesterday when my Dad deleted some of the system folder/files by mistake and now it's not booting up.

Anyway, I was thinking of doing a fresh install.
So my question is, is the .iso that we download from Windows 8.1 Upgrade Appliation is kept up-to-date? I don't want to download the all the updates again. Is it possible to get a up-to-date bootable Windows 8.1 64-bit disk with all the updates? I want to do it in one go.

Anyway, I was thinking of doing a fresh install.
So my question is, is the .iso that we download from Windows 8.1 Upgrade Appliation is kept up-to-date? I don't want to download the all the updates again. Is it possible to get a up-to-date bootable Windows 8.1 64-bit disk with all the updates? I want to do it in one go.

Answer : Unfortunately the answer is no.
You will have to install all the updates again after you have re-installed Win 8.1

No not as a general rule of thumb but;

1. Service packs are normally added into the downloadable iso & these are always clearly marked as having the service pack included.

2. Microsoft does on occasion add the patches into the major iso so that professionals whom are using them a lot don't have to keep downloading extra patches… which is then also clearly marked eg. "Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 Debug_Checked Build (x86) - DVD (English)" has the service pack and all the other patches.

edit: the quick and the dead... David slipped in before me, sorry for the double post guys.

I used to slipstream XP, Vista and Windows 7 is that a thing of the past with Windows 8? It was nice to do a fresh install with a slipstreamed disk and not spend a lot of time at Windows update.
Joe

Just did my daughter's laptop yesterday from 8. fired up the store and selected the windows 8.1 update and can report that what I ended up with was the 8.1 with Update 1 installed on her laptop.
Took quite a while but when it finished.... there was the store icon setting there on the taskbar.
Not going to say for sure that your experience might be different but that was my experience as of yesterday morning. Sometimes geography can factor into whats available and when from the Store.

I used to slipstream XP, Vista and Windows 7 is that a thing of the past with Windows 8? It was nice to do a fresh install with a slipstreamed disk and not spend a lot of time at Windows update.
Joe

Yes and no… the ability to make your own iso with the updates, screen setting and serial key etc is still around but 8 changed the rules by removing the default mbr from its install. What this means is people that try and make a windows 8 iso using older software designed to work with windows 7 or Linux will most likely fail or at the very least encounter issues.

I personally prefer a wsus as my default way of updating because once you have more than two systems it becomes the more efficient option… the fact that I can then dish out the updates without needing to expose the recipient systems to the internet is not a major issue for me but security is more important for some people than others.

Back