Windows 7 isatap driver causing boot up problems

Fridgenator

Blank screen after login - isatap driver causing boot up problems

I installed Windows 7 on my HP Laptop (Dv5-1007tx) about two weeks ago and everything was working fine until this morning. Upon trying to boot up this morning it stopped working. It will boot to the login screen, but after login, the screen just comes up black with the Windows 7, Evaluation Copy stamp in the bottom righthand corner being the only thing visible. Using safe mode I found that what is stopping it is the isatap driver (found in device manager, network). I can disable or delete these drivers but upon rebooting back up it reappears, often with a second version as well. The only way I have found to stop these drivers from being installed is to disable both network devices (wifi and ethernet). Thus at boot up the isatap driver does not get reinstalled. When there is no isatap driver the computer boots up fine. To get on the network I then need to go enable one of the network devices. Doing it after the system has booted up stops the isatap driver being installed.

As you will appreciate, having to disable and renable network devices all the time is not ideal. Any ideas on how to stop the isatap driver being installed each time I boot up or why it would suddenly be causing an issue in the first place. The only thing that seems to have changed is that an update was done overnight for Windows. Uninstalling this update didn't fix the problem.
Thanks
PS, I tried disabling IPV6 with each device and this did not stop it.

Computer details: HP Dv5-1007tx laptop, Intel Core 2 Duo T9400, 4gb RAM, Network devices: Intel Wifi Link 5100AGN, Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom