Windows 7 Issue with generating system health report

frozenreads

When I run system health report, it runs, says generating report and then asks me if i want to open or save this file:

report.html.

If I click on open, a blank page opens in Internet Explorer 8 saying navigation cancelled.

The system health report program continues to display generating report.

The file I noticed was very small and when I ran performance monitor I recieved the error

\Memory\Available MBytes
\Memory\% Committed Bytes In Use
\Memory\Cache Faults/sec
\Memory\Cache Faults/sec
\PhysicalDisk(*)\%Idle Time
\PhysicalDisk(*)\Avg. Disk Queue Length
\Network Interface(*)\Bytes Total/sec"

I fixed this issue by using lodctr /r to rebuild performance counter settings

This caused the generated system health report to go from small up to around 3.10MB but STILL fails to open.

Something has got corrupt here, possible the program that displays the report (I am pretty sure when I ran health report in Vista it didnt ask me to open an html file within IE8)

I really REALLY want to avoid a reinstallation for such a minor thing, as everything else runs great and system file check shows no detected issues.

I am not sure if the issue has always been there as I cant remember if I have ever run system health report since installing Windows 7. My only issues recently was I had to do a system file restore to an earlier date to resolve an unrelated BSOD issue caused by a wayward driver. I wonder if something got corrupted at that point.

I dont know if its the software that displays the report that has the issue or if something is still corrupt preventing collection of the data

Any thoughts to a strange issue?

How are you accessing the performance report?
I have done it (just tried again) through the Computer - "Experience index" path. At the end, the comprehensive report is on screen. Clicking "File" on the top bar, offers me the (correct) option, to save it as an HTML . This can be read through one of your browsers or a web program, should you have one installed.

Link Removed due to 404 Error

You can also open it with MS word, and maybe OO (I don't use that) and save it as a .doc

Last edited:
Back