Windows 7 Issues setting up a home network

Boseguy

I have 2 machines running windows 7 home premium, one laptop and on desktop. I can get my laptop to connect to my home pc and see the files i want to share but i can not get my pc to connect to my laptop. i have all the options on both set the same...at least what i can find. the laptop can ping my pc's ip but i can not ping my laptop from my pc. any suggestions of ideas would be great thanks.

I should add, my pc is 32 bit the laptop is 64...i am using a sprint u300 personal hotspot and the router. it works going one way but not the other and thats what is confusing me

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 machines running windows 7 home premium, one laptop and on desktop. I can get my laptop to connect to my home pc and see the files i want to share but i can not get my pc to connect to my laptop. i have all the options on both set the same...at least what i can find. the laptop can ping my pc's ip but i can not ping my laptop from my pc. any suggestions of ideas would be great thanks.

I should add, my pc is 32 bit the laptop is 64...i am using a sprint u300 personal hotspot and the router. it works going one way but not the other and thats what is confusing me

are they both in the same workgroup ?

64 and 32 bit should not affect your connection settings ?

do you have an aggressive or overzealous AntiVirus , or a third party firewall ?

Yes they are both on WORKGROUP with i left as the default.

i kinda figured 32 or 64 bit wouldn't matter but i wanted to give as much info as possible.

They are both using mcafee, the laptop is using a newer version of it but from what i can tell they are set the same...

the laptop connects to my pc fine. my pc will not connect to the laptop at all.

on a side note, the laptop stays connected to the network fine but it gets kicked off the web alot on my home connection. when i am at school using a different connection it never gets kicked off...any ideas on that?
thanks for the help

Yes they are both on WORKGROUP with i left as the default.

i kinda figured 32 or 64 bit wouldn't matter but i wanted to give as much info as possible.

They are both using mcafee, the laptop is using a newer version of it but from what i can tell they are set the same...

the laptop connects to my pc fine. my pc will not connect to the laptop at all.

on a side note, the laptop stays connected to the network fine but it gets kicked off the web alot on my home connection. when i am at school using a different connection it never gets kicked off...any ideas on that?
thanks for the help

so the laptop is refusing incoming connections , this could be sharing settings from homegroup or it could be mcafee ?

I would suspect homegroup as this is the only thing specific to your home setup ?

Well i think i figured out that it is mcafee's firewall that is the issue, i turned it off and both computers talk fine, i am guess i need to go add my pc to the trusted ips on my laptops firewall. Thanks for your help

Well i think i figured out that it is mcafee's firewall that is the issue, i turned it off and both computers talk fine, i am guess i need to go add my pc to the trusted ips on my laptops firewall. Thanks for your help

excellent glad it's solved :cool:

Back