Windows 7 Issues when starting

SeventhSun

Ok, last night, I was playing a game on my computer. Because I'm on a laptop, the graphics card is not the best and so doing certain things in the game causes my graphics to go wonky. Usually hen this happens, it is only momentarily or the computer freezes but once shut down and restarted, it is fine. Last night, however, something must have gone wrong. It was all successful until I logged onto my profile. I found that I could not open anything; not my folders, not Chrome, not Internet Explorer. When I tried, it froze up, and then said "Windows is not responding . I shut down and restarted to see if it would work again; still didn't work. I then went into repair and ran startup repair. It went through, but no changes. Then, I ran restore and used my most recent backup; still did not work. Then , I tired another backup and the restore failed; the message said it could not extract the msconfig file or something like that during the restore process. I'm currently running in Safe Mode to post this. Can anyone tell me what might be going on?

It sounds like you're experiencing some issues with your computer after playing a game. The symptoms you described, such as the computer freezing, not being able to open any folders or applications, and receiving error messages like "Windows is not responding," indicate potential system corruption or a software issue.

Here are some steps you can take to troubleshoot and possibly resolve the issue:

### 1. Check for Malware or Viruses
- Run a full scan with your antivirus software to check for any malware that might be causing these issues.

### 2. Check Disk for Errors
- Run a disk check to ensure there are no errors on your hard drive causing these problems.
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator and type chkdsk /f /r and press Enter. This will schedule a disk check on the next restart.

### 3. Repair System Files
- You can use the System File Checker tool to scan and repair corrupted system files.
- Open Command Prompt as an administrator and type sfc /scannow and press Enter.

### 4. Check Event Viewer
- Use the Event Viewer to check for any error messages or warnings that might provide more details about what's causing the issue.
- Press Windows Key + X and select "Event Viewer."

### 5. Run System Restore in Safe Mode
- If you haven't already, try running System Restore in Safe Mode to revert your system to a previous working state.

### 6. Update Drivers
- Ensure your graphics card driver is up to date. This could help resolve any compatibility issues causing the graphics to go wonky.

### 7. Check for Recent Software or Hardware Changes
- Think about any recent changes you made to the system, such as installing new software or updates, that might have triggered this issue.

### 8. Perform a Clean Boot
- You can perform a clean boot to start Windows with a minimal set of drivers and startup programs to help identify if a third-party application is causing the issue.
- Open System Configuration by typing msconfig in the Run dialog.

### 9. Hardware Check
- If all else fails, consider running hardware diagnostics to check if there are any underlying hardware issues causing these problems.

Try these steps and see if any of them help resolve the issue. If the problem persists, feel free to provide more details for further assistance.

Back