Windows 7 iTunes on 64 bit not working....

xanadeath

I have tried using the 64 bit version of itunes on windows 7 64 bit. What I noticed immediately was that windows 7 installed it under the x86 program folders. When I am running iTunes it freezes ALL the time making it completely useless. Especially when I am downloading...it simply stops downloading and stops responding. Does anyone have a fix for these issues or am I on my own till M$ starts releasing some updates. At this point I am currently switching my system from a main OS of windows 7 to a vista-7 dual boot because of this issue.

You need to actually get the 64-Bit version of iTunes manually. It's a glitch where it identifies Windows 7 as 32 bit, and gives you that, instead of 64. So basically, it gave you the wrong version by accident.

i have the same problem, downloading the iTunes x64 and install, but it installes in x86 folder, and when I connect the iPhone, it tells me to install the x64 version.

where can I get a TRUE x64 itunes??

thats the one I downloaded yes. and its still same problem. under install the version marked in iTunes says, 8.0.2... x64 but itunes cant read my iphone and ask for the x64 version.

tired of this. gonna by a mac book...

Last edited:
I am using the x64 version 8.0.2.20 without any problems and I have 2 Ipods and an Iphone set up on my system.

on win7 ? gosh.

Thats why Im tired of win. to much problems.
(in my xp pro, I suddenly got photoshop cs3 startup problems, and its impossible to change, remove or rinstall the app. but thats another tread)

I'm having the exact same problem. It keeps saying it's checking the itunes library first time I open it, and then just disappears. I check in the Task Manager and it's there as a process, but it's trying to run it in 32 bit mode (has *32 next to it)!!!!!!! So so annoying. Surely they should have this 64 bit stuff sorted by now!!

Oh, and it always defaults to the "Program Files (x86)" folder for me too.

I guess it's back to XP again :(

I'd buy a Mac if I could get one for under $4000 (AUD) that could have more than 1 internal HDD...

try editing the msi

Im not running windows 7 yet, but I did get itunes 64 to coop with XP64 by tweeking the msi. (you can do this with 7 zip and orca). Im not sure what the version # for windows 7 is, but I know for vista its NT=600 and for XP its NT=501, id bet its 601 though. Its a temp fix, I can't update any software on my phone as of now, but it will sync everything else up. I think they should make one of those mac commercials where the PC guy in the brown suit just hulks out and slaps the mac guy with a bit 64 bit sign.

Go to Mac? Really? Don't you realize that it's APPLE's program that's at issue here?

I have the finished build of Win 7 Ultimate, and am too having issues with itunes alone. However, when I docked my iPhone (before even installing itunes), Windows identified what it was, installed the drivers for it and calls it out by name. Meaning Microsoft had certified device drivers for the device bundled in with Win 7.

That doesn't sound like MS is not playing nice.

However, there are a whole lot of us that have been using the beta for months and months, don't you think Apple would be playing ahead of the game to get itunes to work on it?

Unfortunately, I don't see Apple doing anything in a hurry, since they probably want to sour anyone's experience with MS product.

Sorry... end of rant. I too am looking for a way to make it work, and am just considering running the WinXP virtual machine then installing itunes there...

I'm having the exact same problem. It keeps saying it's checking the itunes library first time I open it, and then just disappears. I check in the Task Manager and it's there as a process, but it's trying to run it in 32 bit mode (has *32 next to it)!!!!!!! So so annoying. Surely they should have this 64 bit stuff sorted by now!!

Oh, and it always defaults to the \"Program Files (x86)\" folder for me too.

I guess it's back to XP again :(

I'd buy a Mac if I could get one for under $4000 (AUD) that could have more than 1 internal HDD...

Oh you guys... ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater... Did you forget how to google:

10 Alternatives to iTunes for managing your iPod – Simple Help

itunes help

I bought a new computer and transfered all files. I was using the newest itunes on the old computer running Vista. When I download the 64 bit itunes on the new computer with Window 7...when I go on to open itunes on the new computer I get a message that states: the itunes library can be read because it was created on a new version. Not sure how to get all of my music to an itunes that works on window 7. Any suggestion. Thanks

Karen

I have tried using the 64 bit version of itunes on windows 7 64 bit. What I noticed immediately was that windows 7 installed it under the x86 program folders. When I am running iTunes it freezes ALL the time making it completely useless. Especially when I am downloading...it simply stops downloading and stops responding. Does anyone have a fix for these issues or am I on my own till M$ starts releasing some updates. At this point I am currently switching my system from a main OS of windows 7 to a vista-7 dual boot because of this issue.
go to ask.com enter download itunes 64 bit and click on the one for windows vista download and it works
john

I upgraded from a WIN XP 32bit to Win 7 64bit and of course installed iTunes. I am running iTunes version 9.0.2.25 and aside from the fact that I cannot find the slider to increase the album cover icons anywhere, thus displaying in an annoyingly small size, the program works fine.

I did have to look for the right version though, here's the direct download link:
http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...es9/061-7529.20091118.Xdswe/iTunes64Setup.exe

Worth mentioning I think, is the fact that I am using the same folder, with all of the archived music from the previous Windows XP version. I did notice the quality of the sound has diminished bur I think it's the fact I have not been able to upgrade Realtek audio codec to the new Windows version.

Forget itunes

i just built a new machine with windows 7 pro and i got the same problem. I just had enough with itunes. dont buy a mac book just because itunes doesnt work there are alterative to itunes that i think are way better. i found a program called media monkey and is better in my opinion than itunes. you still need to keep itunes on your machine because of the moblie device support. but other than that dont buy a mac this will save you about 1500 and media monkey is free.

i just built a new machine with windows 7 pro and i got the same problem. I just had enough with itunes. dont buy a mac book just because itunes doesnt work there are alterative to itunes that i think are way better. i found a program called media monkey and is better in my opinion than itunes. you still need to keep itunes on your machine because of the moblie device support. but other than that dont buy a mac this will save you about 1500 and media monkey is free.

Don't give up yet! I solved my "problem". If you recall my complaint, the only one actually, was that I could not enlarge the album thumbs in the Grid View, I couldn't find the slider bar to do so or the "header" where it was.

I found it! If that is your nisancet, go to:

View > Grid view > Show Header ...that's it! :razz:

I'm having the same issue with Windows 7 64bit and iTunes. Prior to installing itunes, I can see my iphone in my list of devices. After installing itunes, I can no longer see the iphone, and I get an error when I open itunes, stating that it cannot connect to my iphone. Someone mentioned a "real" version of the 64bit download, but I never saw a link anywhere. Any ideas?

I'm having the same issue with Windows 7 64bit and iTunes. Prior to installing itunes, I can see my iphone in my list of devices. After installing itunes, I can no longer see the iphone, and I get an error when I open itunes, stating that it cannot connect to my iphone. Someone mentioned a "real" version of the 64bit download, but I never saw a link anywhere. Any ideas?

I think it was me who mentioned a "real" 64bit download. Anyway, the URL for the download page in Apple's website is:

Link Removed - Invalid URL

The direct URL for downloading the 64bit software* is:

http://appldnld.apple.com.edgesuite...es9/061-7529.20091118.Xdswe/iTunes64Setup.exe

After some tweeking with the program, I'm happy with it, good luck!

* Double check the link to make sure it's the right one :p

HI, Thomasjojo! I had to call Apple about this very same problem. They told me to go to support.apple.com....when the site comes up, in the search box, type DL925 and hit enter and they will provide you with the 64-bit version of iTunes. I've downloaded it and it's working just fine without any problems.

i have the same problem, downloading the iTunes x64 and install, but it installes in x86 folder, and when I connect the iPhone, it tells me to install the x64 version.

where can I get a TRUE x64 itunes??

Back