Windows 10 I've tried to set my computer to login without a password, need help?

MikeHawthorne

Essential Member
Microsoft Community Contributor
Hi, I decided to set my computer to sign in without a password, I had tried to do this before but had problems but I couldn't remember what they were.
So I tried again tonight, I brought up the run box and un-clicked the box that says to require a password of pin to log in.

It asked for my password and I put it in and hit the completion button.
Then I restarted Windows, and remembered what the problem was.

I shut down and rebooted.

It went to the login screen and my login account isn't shown, and it says that my password is wrong for the accounts shown.
Well I finally got it to sign in to Windows with a new account.

I went to account settings and it didn't show my Admin Account as an option to switch to.
I rebooted a couple of more times and my account wasn't there. I have a system image, so I wasn't too worried.

Finally, I went to the options from the start button and selected Sign Out.

I was very happy to see my regular account was there as an option to sign in to.

Fortunately that worked and I went to Options and re-clicked the box that forces me to enter a password or pin.

I restarted and everything is back to normal.

My question is why does my Admin Account disappear when I remove the password requirement?

I'm going to leave it alone again for now but I'd like to know what's happening.

Mike

Last edited:
Are you using netplwiz to do this? In windows settings the only option is not to require password log in when waking from sleep mode.

Hi

Yes I'm using netplwiz and all I'm doing is unchecking the check box and confirming it by entering my password.

But when I reboot my computer will not accept the same password that I just used to uncheck the box, and my account "Mike" that I did it from doesn't show as a login alternative.

I was able to get back to it by signing out from the desktop and signing back in, my account shows when I do that, but every time I shut down and reboot it wants me to use the new account which was named Michael, not my account Mike.

It never does just login without a password not matter which I use.

I'm not using the account that the computer came with, that was set up by the builder with "Michael" as the account name.

I created a new Administrator account when I got it and that's what I've been using for a year, it's logging into the original new unmodified account when it won't log into mine. That account excepts my password.

Just want to affirm that as long as the box is checked everything works like normal.
I know the computer would log in faster, I can hear the desktop chime before I even get my code typed in.

Mike

Last edited:
I'm not using the account that the computer came with, that was set up by the builder with "Michael" as the account name.
That's weird in itself. I'm leary about stuff like that. So the first thing I'd do is a clean install. Then run netplwiz. I have a hunch that the 2 accounts are the cause of it. It's like having multiple users with separate login's and for me that never worked with a crap.

The old netplace wizard has been blocked in recent builds of Windows... This was done by deliberately bypass the registry and if you want to keep using the sign in script the only (safe) option is to not upgrade builds

There are various hacks around but that's a minefield depending on your account being linked to Microsoft

Sent from my SP9 using Windows Forums mobile app

The old netplace wizard has been blocked in recent builds of Windows..
Wow, that would explain a lot.....I did not know....can you confirm that.

I don't use netplwiz anymore.....haven't for a number of years now.

Thanks, Norway, that probably is the reason that I'm having problems.

The reason that my computer came with an account already on it was that it's made by a custom builder Falcon Northwest and it comes all setup and already registered to me. Otherwise, the computer comes free of any other software.

All I have to do is turn it on, but I always create my own admin account and use that to install all my stuff in it's worked fine for a year except for the not being able to sign in without my pin.

Thanks for the help, I guess I'll just leave it the way it is.

yes they busted it when they added that 4 pin number system a few builds ago... I locked my work laptop to 16.299 for security so fortunately netplwiz still works on it but my Ryzen desktop has to stay current for legal reasons so I have to use the new pin system there... such a pain in the ass (I should hack it but again, legal issues)

Since MS introduced the pin system.....I've been using it and really like it. I'm not normal (LOL) so I use a 20 character pin.

Yes, I use a pin too, it's just that I hear the desktop chime while I'm still on the login screen and I assume that if I could skip it I would be at the desktop in half the time.

it's just that I hear the desktop chime
I've never heard a chime in all my time at the login screen. I boot, login screen (no chime), use pin hit enter and I'm in to a complete functional OS in 20 seconds. This is from pressing the power button on case to functional OS. I have no complaints at all.

You still on a mechanical drive?

and I assume that if I could skip it I would be at the desktop in half the time.
LOL.....yeah, a half second faster. Too darn funny!

PINs are a lot more secure than a password. I only have a PIN and finger prints on my main travel laptop.

I think that you can turn the chime on and off.

You used to be able to use your own sound, mine used to say "Hi Mike playing games again!" in a snooty British women's voice. But in Windows 10 they won't let you change the sound without hacking it.

I have a custom sound for all my Windows sounds.

It's not the time really, I'm just too lazy to type in my pin.

I'd like to hit the on button and then go get coffee and have it all booted up when I get back.

With the SSD it boots up before the loading screen is ready to type in they seem to work independently it doesn't wait for you to boot, but it won't let you in until you have identified yourself.

Plus when I boot in it then runs Steam confirmation and my antivirus scan, etc. it would do this while I'm filling me cup if it would load all the way.

I thought that all pins were 4 characters? I didn't know that you could make one longer.

Last edited:
I'd like to hit the on button and then go get coffee and have it all booted up when I get back.
Yep....I with you on that there. Power on and no input what so ever...just like in the old days of windows 7. I hate this log in crap. It's my computer, no one else uses it. So why do I need to login.....just baffles me!

I just found the pin to be easier and less painful....LOL!

Back