Windows 10 JPEG photos not opening

brod298

Extraordinary Member
Hi everyone,
I am 70 years old girl :) and have bunch of photos downloaded on my PC Win 10 and all of the sudden some of them throughout my albums are not opening at all. They are all jpg. files. Some of them are opening when I go through the albums I made on my PC but some of them have X on the file and says : We cannot open this file". Now I would like to store them all on my external hard drive but I am missing photos.
Is there any easy way to fix it as I am really not very good with computers. I can follow simple and clear orders :)
Thank you so much, take care and stay safe.

Vesna

Hello Vesna,

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much to do to recover photos that you can't open with usual tools. Copying them to an external hardrive won't help.
But, before doing anything else, you could try opening the problematic photos with another program that you can download freely from the internet. It is called FastStone Image Viewer and can be downloaded from here: https://www.faststonesoft.net/DN/FSViewer75.zip .
Just download the file to your computer, unzip it to a separate folder and run the file named FSViewer.exe.
It is the portable version of the image viewer, which means that it doesn't require installation.
After opening the FastStone Image Viewer, just go to a few of the pictures you can't open and try opening them. If the operation is successful, then it means that your pictures are OK and probably something went wrong on your computer system that prevents opening certain jpeg files.
After that, you can try backing up your photos on an external hardrive.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

Hello Vesna,

Unfortunately, I don't think there is much to do to recover photos that you can't open with usual tools. Copying them to an external hardrive won't help.
But, before doing anything else, you could try opening the problematic photos with another program that you can download freely from the internet. It is called FastStone Image Viewer and can be downloaded from here: https://www.faststonesoft.net/DN/FSViewer75.zip .
Just download the file to your computer, unzip it to a separate folder and run the file named FSViewer.exe.
It is the portable version of the image viewer, which means that it doesn't require installation.
After opening the FastStone Image Viewer, just go to a few of the pictures you can't open and try opening them. If the operation is successful, then it means that your pictures are OK and probably something went wrong on your computer system that prevents opening certain jpeg files.
After that, you can try backing up your photos on an external hardrive.

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
Thank you so much. I've heard that Win 10 has a problem with Photo App, so that could be it. I will need to download external image viewer one day. :)
Have a great day !

If you can copy and paste the files try copying them to a flash drive and see if they will open on someone else's computer, especially if they have something like Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements.

If they open resave them in .Tiff format, and move them back to your computer.

Windows photos is a miserable, whimsical app, when it works, which is unusual, it does so very slowly. How can Microsoft propose this crappy, unreliable software for actions that occur dozens of times a day?

If you can copy and paste the files try copying them to a flash drive and see if they will open on someone else's computer, especially if they have something like Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements.

If they open resave them in .Tiff format, and move them back to your computer.
PS. If you find they can be opened by Photoshop Elements you can buy it from Amazon it's not expensive.

Try a program called IrfanView. I had a similar issue when I tried to open photos that where created by IMO app on Android and I was only able to open them with that program.

It can also convert photos. Converting them might also repair them so that they open with normal windows programs.

Download link. Either 32 bit or 64 bit would be fine.

Thank you all, but unfortunatey nothing worked. I got rid of those :( and now trying not to save them as .jpg. Only that format had issues.
take care and stay safe all !

One of and a standard of the Graphics Arts Industry is .tiff.
Tiff files are lossless by that I mean if you copy one and resave it over and over the quality will not deteriorate even if they are compressed.
They will be a little bigger than .jpg, but I've always used them for anything important.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom