Windows 7 Just need some info

wt.pm

I know this has to have been asked before, but apparently I can't phrase search questions correctly. (lol) If I want to upgrade from RC 7100 to RC7145(?)(making up a number there), do I get this from an ordinary update, or do I have to download the entire file, or what? If I have to download it, do I have to do a complete clean install, or an "in place" install? How do I find out what the latest build is? I am running 7100 now, and want to keep upgrading to experience the full benefit of the RC, but my ISP limits how much I can download each month, and I just don't have the bandwith to keep downloading, I had to download this copy "somewhere else" (hopefully my boss doesn't read this). There were other questions, but I have went braindead. So I will get back with you. Thanks for your help.

Please just stick with the official RC from MS.

Upgrades are definitely not the way to go. A "clean" install is the proper method.

Stay away from those torrent sites, many corrupt downloads are being reported, plus viruses to boot.

Ok first off.. any build past 7100 IS NOT part of the RC.. those builds are from the RTM branch.. and installing those gives you absolutely no advantage over users of the RC.. Those interim builds contain nothing more than a few minor bug fixes, there are no drastic changes in any of these builds.. So in other words, your no further ahead by installing those leaked builds.. If anything your further behind because those leaks can only be obtained through the use of torrents (unless a friend has one and sends it to you of course).. which as we all know put you at risk for things like trojans, spyware, malware etc..

Also, by using those builds you are more likely to run into problems since they aren't officially supported and aren't ment to be used by the general public.. My point is it's not recommended to use these leaked builds.. Plain and simple.. :) I'm not saying that using them is going to hurt your pc in any way, because unless the ISO is infected to start with it most likely won't hurt your PC.. but it's just pointless to use them in my opinion as they're honestly not that much different then the RC...

I can't remember who posted it but the phrase "If the RC is working fine for you, then stick with it and don't install leaked builds" is a VERY good way of putting it.. :)

Last edited:
I know this has to have been asked before, but apparently I can't phrase search questions correctly. (lol) If I want to upgrade from RC 7100 to RC7145(?)(making up a number there), do I get this from an ordinary update, or do I have to download the entire file, or what? If I have to download it, do I have to do a complete clean install, or an \"in place\" install? How do I find out what the latest build is? I am running 7100 now, and want to keep upgrading to experience the full benefit of the RC, but my ISP limits how much I can download each month, and I just don't have the bandwith to keep downloading, I had to download this copy \"somewhere else\" (hopefully my boss doesn't read this). There were other questions, but I have went braindead. So I will get back with you. Thanks for your help.

First off reghakr advice is solid. However, to answer your question, yes you will have to download the whole iso of the newer build from "somewhere else". Upgrades are entirely possible by simply mounting the iso with a program like VirtualCloneDrive and running the setup file. Or you can burn to DVD and boot to it and do a clean install, which is what I recommend if you are going to do it.

To be honest thought there is nothing new in the newer builds after 7100.

I can't remember who posted it but the phrase "If the RC is working fine for you, then stick with it and don't install leaked builds" is a VERY good way of putting it.. :)

Haha that was me. Also solid advice. The best way to test the new builds IMO is install them on another partition and keep the RC going as your main OS.

Thanks! Just did not understand the whole RC, "leaked build" thing. I'm happy where I am. I have been die hard XP, since day one, I left 2K, against advice of my local installer, and after seeing Vista (also beta tested), refused to leave XP. But I love 7. Now I remember my other questions first off, in XP there were the "common task" on the left side, is it still available, or can I plz have it back? Also, Is there any way to customize the "menu bar"? One of the things I don't like about 7 is the ability to highlight a file, then click the red delete "X", or "copy to", etc..., I am not a keyboard shortcut person, I like using my mouse, to point and click, not right click, click. Although it is what you get used to. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom