Windows 10 Laptop appeared to reset when I clicked on restart

hireseanb

My laptop appeared to reset when I clicked on Restart. After I clicked on Restart, it went to the blue screen and indicated that Windows was resetting. 10 to 15 minutes later, my login appeared and I was able to log in like normal . Any idea as to what may have caused this?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Did it say resetting or reverting? I failed windows update will roll back in that fashion. A reset requires several steps which require user interaction.

Yes, as Neem states you need to be cautious with your wording of the error message. Resetting your PC is a W10 PC troubleshooting process, and can wipe out all your programs and data simultaneously, or just the programs while keeping your data. If a W10 Reset was done, you'd have to insert W10 bootable media (DVD disc or USB stick), which if you didn't do, you didn't experience a Reset issue.:noway:

More likely it was a Reversion error as Neem said, and you are now stuck on an earlier version of W10 than the current one that came out in April 2017 this year. That version is called the CREATORS UPDATE which you may have heard about. However, there are 2 other earlier W10 version, v1607 (2016) and v1511 (2015); probably what you already have on your machine now. To see exactly which version you have (A really Good Idea!:lightbulb:), in W10 hold down the <Windows-Logo-key> + <R-key> at the same time which produces a small Run box windows a couple of inches. Into that box, simply type the command WINVER and hit the <Enter-key> on your keyboard and Winver will produce another small box giving you the exact information on your version & build of W10. This is especially important when investigating problems such as mysteriously bootup behavior and failed updates from Microsoft or other software vendors on your computer.

Here's a screen shot of the produced Winver command shown in W10:
W10 VERSION CHECK PHOTO RLLOYD.JPG

Knowing this information, both the W10 version number and the OS Build number, can help us here at the forum, or any Tech you take your computer to track down the source of your problem. If you have ever done phone Tech support with the maker of your laptop such as Dell, HP, or Acer/Gateway, or your Internet provider then you may remember them checking this for you if you allowed them to take control of your windows desktop or just asked you to enter those steps I gave you above and reading the phone Tech the result over the phone. In either case, this information needs to be gathered, and this Post shows you how to do it in 3 steps.:)

Best of luck with your problem,:cheerful:
Remember to post back if you have more questions to this thread. We are here for you 24x7x365.:teeth:

<<<BIGBEARJEDI>>>

Back