Windows 7 laptop screen goes very dark on startup

impinhead

Windows 7 rc runs perfect on this laptop.

However I have one strange issue; sometimes when I start the laptop and when it gets to the log in screen the screen goes very dark, other times it is fine.

At the right angle I can still see the login screen but again like I said it is extremely dark.
Now to fix this, I either close the laptop to make it enter sleep mode, or hit the power button to make it enter sleep mode. When I reopen or hit the power button to take it out of sleep mode, the screen is now fine.
This only occurs at the login screen during startup. All images beforehand like the bios and windows 7 loading icon appear correctly.

Any idea's as to what is causing this strange issue? It's weird since it does not 100% happen, only sometimes.

Thanks in advance.

Greetings

I too have had this issue on a Gateway Laptop, where on occasion the laptop starts and the screen is black. It will display the logo, then go black and thats it. Closing and reopening the lid will, maybe, bring it back up, but usually if it goes black that is it. I have been able to do an orderly shutown by depressing and releasing the Power Button, then upon restart the system functions OK.

See details below. Any help would be appreciated! Overall, IMHO Windows 7 looks and smells a lot like Vista SP3.

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate
Version 6.1.7100 Build 7100
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name MOBILE-PC
System Manufacturer Gateway
System Model M-7305U
System Type X86-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T3200 @ 2.00GHz, 2000 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies LTD 96.04, 7/23/2008
SMBIOS Version 2.5
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7100.0"
User Name Mobile-PC\xxxx
Time Zone Central Daylight Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 2.93 GB
Available Physical Memory 2.03 GB
Total Virtual Memory 5.86 GB
Available Virtual Memory 4.89 GB
Page File Space 2.93 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Sounds like your backlight is being switched off. Check the lid switch. That's what this switch is designed to do when you shut the lid. Perhaps it is sticky/unreliable.

I thought it might have been a issue with the back light but I have Ubuntu on the same machine and Ubuntu starts up perfectly fine every time. It only happens with windows 7.

Back
Top Bottom