Windows 7 LG DVD Drive not reading disks

pope

ok heres the thing, I recently ungraded my version of Windows 7, everything installed fine, and working great. I just recently wanted to install some drivers for my printer, so I put my disk in and my DVD drive does not recongnise it I checked my computer and I do not see a dvd, cd drive, so I looked inside to see that the IDE cable was not plugged in, ok so I turn the pc off and plug it in and I try to insert the disk again, and the disk just dosent get read, thats all kind of disks cd, dvd etc etc.

So to test that my Drive is working correctly I restrt the computer and I attempted to boot from from a CD and it recongnised it fine. So Im guessing a reinstall of windows will do the trick? but I really want to avoid that see as I have installed loads of software and drivers I need. Does anybody know what the problem could be? and a workaround for this? thanks.

ok heres the thing, I recently ungraded my version of Windows 7, everything installed fine, and working great. I just recently wanted to install some drivers for my printer, so I put my disk in and my DVD drive does not recongnise it I checked my computer and I do not see a dvd, cd drive, so I looked inside to see that the IDE cable was not plugged in, ok so I turn the pc off and plug it in and I try to insert the disk again, and the disk just dosent get read, thats all kind of disks cd, dvd etc etc.

So to test that my Drive is working correctly I restrt the computer and I attempted to boot from from a CD and it recongnised it fine. So Im guessing a reinstall of windows will do the trick? but I really want to avoid that see as I have installed loads of software and drivers I need. Does anybody know what the problem could be? and a workaround for this? thanks.

If your LG DVD drive ( is it DVD burner or DVD-ROM drive, is it Internal or External DVD device? if it is Internal is it IDE or SATA device? ) is able to read your Win 7 DVD disc on boot when " press any key to boot from the CD" message is displayed the conclusion should be your Optical device is set and recognized by the BIOS, you have made that as the Boot device prior to HDD, and the disc inserted is probably not damaged.

My approach in the above scenario will be to check the Device Manager> DVD/CD-ROM drives and expand that cluster to seeif your optical device is listed.
If there is any problem seen there,troubleshoot must start from there depending up on what shows up.
If there is no problem insert the same Win 7 DVD and see if it will auto run to Setup.exe.

If you think you have a corrupt system for other reasons a clean reinstall with a Flawless OS DVD could help everything including this problem.

If your LG DVD drive ( is it DVD burner or DVD-ROM drive, is it Internal or External DVD device? if it is Internal is it IDE or SATA device? ) is able to read your Win 7 DVD disc on boot when " press any key to boot from the CD" message is displayed the conclusion should be your Optical device is set and recognized by the BIOS, you have made that as the Boot device prior to HDD, and the disc inserted is probably not damaged.

My approach in the above scenario will be to check the Device Manager> DVD/CD-ROM drives and expand that cluster to seeif your optical device is listed.
If there is any problem seen there,troubleshoot must start from there depending up on what shows up.
If there is no problem insert the same Win 7 DVD and see if it will auto run to Setup.exe.

If you think you have a corrupt system for other reasons a clean reinstall with a Flawless OS DVD could help everything including this problem.
Hi, it seemed everything in device manager was as it should have been, so I have just done a reinstall of windows and I have the same problem. When I insert the disk, windows detects nothing, no disk what so ever. Thats CDs, DVDs, Windows CDs, games, etc.

But it works in the bios, it detetcs my CDs as is able to boot from them. another thing is when I am checking properties and so on in device manager and my computer, I get a lot of not responding errors. I am using Windows 7 7100 64bit

same problem

i have a LG GSA H20N ATA DVD RW. im using windows 7 RC. and it worked fine for some time after installing the x64 OS, but suddenly from now the CD/DVD is not being read. Whenever i put a CD/DVD into the drive, the light blinks for sometime and goes blank. When i double click the drive in Comptuter, it says insert disk into the drive and opens the tray. The drive is being detected in the BIOS.

Oz

Seeing the same type of problem

I also have an LG DVD and windows 7 can "see" it but cannot handle it. First the story....

1. When I installed W7, I did so from XP and it was doing fine until the first reboot and W7 took over. At this point, the install looked like it had stopped but I left it alone for some 5-6 hours and it finally completed.

2. After rebooting to W7, I put the motherboard disk into the DVD, and it never responded. The light is lit but no one is home. I did not have the patience to wait many hours to see if it would finally respond. With the old drive, it would sometimes respond after a while but unfortunately I did not check the Event log at that time.

3. A check of the Hardware manager shows that the device is suppose to be working fine. I check of the Event manager shows that W7 is spitting out a "controller error" every 30 seconds and this is probably why it never returns.

4. This is a brand new drive, arrived 2 days ago.

5. This behavior was seen on the old drive which I have moved to my other system and it works fine.

6. Both DVD drives work fine under XP, in fact, I am listening to some of my CD's on the DVD drive as I type this (under XP of course)

7. I did not have this problem with the old DVD player under the beta release.

8. This is new build because the previous build BSOD'd so many times, both boot systems were trashed.

It looks to me like there is some problem with W7. Maybe it is motherboard sensitive, difficult to tell.

Bob :mad:

I'm having this same issue...still. Has anyone come across a fix for this? I hope this is a resolved issue by the retail release. This seems to be an LG thing, but I'm at a loss.

I had responded to a previous thread in which I've explained everything, here's the low-down:

The drive model is:
LG GH22NS30 Super Multi - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM drive - Serial ATA - 48x (CD) / 16x (DVD) 48x (CD) / 20x (DVD±R) / 12x (DVD-R DL) / 16x (DVD+R DL) 32x (CD) / 6x (DVD-RW) / 8x (DVD+RW) / 12x (DVD-RAM) - Internal - Black

-- Drive is recognized by Windows 7 (can be seen in Explorer and Device Manager)
-- BIOS will recognize discs and prompt for booting (should the disc be a boot disc)
-- I have tried removing the Upper and LowerFilters in the registry; NEITHER value existed when I searched for them
-- I have uninstalled the drive, both physically and via device manager
-- I have run Devcon to determine the parameters of the drive; this is the resulting information:
IDE\CDROMHL-DT-ST_DVD-RAM_GH22NS30_________________1.02____\5&F23758A&0& 1.0.0
Name: HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NS30 ATA Device
Setup Class: {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} CDROM
Controlling Service:
cdrom
1 matching device(s) found.

-- Have verified that both the power and data cables ARE seated properly
-- Have updated the firmware (from version 0 to 1, and then 1 to 2); issues existed in every firmware upgrade

Never got it to work

I tried reinstalling several times from the CD and it never ever saw the CD after W7 was restarted. I did not have any issues with the beta. I gave up on this and installed ubuntu instead. I have XP64 as my other boot but W7 while having neat stuff, never worked well and would corrupt the boot after a period of time.

I was having the same problem.... then i contacted LG, and they said that all their drives have problems with windows 7, they also have problems with windows vista but an update fixes it or something....
they couldnt help me........

so heres what i did!
i installed the Chipset drivers of the motherboard and the drive works SOMETIMES, and sometimes windows just freezes up on me when i try to open the cd/dvd.

LG DVD GH22 problems

Any new drivers or updates available for this hardware yet? I wish I would have read this before purchasing this DVD burner. I have the internal LG GH22 as well and it will only write at 2x on a RW. No faster and not with any other type of media such as +/- R. Any new drivers would be much appreciated.
Thanks
BTW it is a SATA and I'm running 64bit.

Last edited:
I wish I read this before buying my LG BD Rom / dvd/cd burner the other day. I'll keep my fingers crossed as I'll be putting my HTPC together tonight after work and installing W7 x64. If the drive isn't recognized, I'll wait until next week when I get my TechNet subscription and download Vista Ultimate or XP Media Center to get my system going and wait until next year when they get these details ironed out with W7. Heck, I might even go back to XP Pro in the meantime. Nothing like doing "clean" installs. I kinda miss it.

Edit -

My LG BD Rom drive is working fine. Reads CD's and DVD's just fine. I will test BD tomorrow when I get my Netflix movies.

Last edited:
I'm having this same issue...still. Has anyone come across a fix for this? I hope this is a resolved issue by the retail release. This seems to be an LG thing, but I'm at a loss.

I had responded to a previous thread in which I've explained everything, here's the low-down:

The drive model is:
LG GH22NS30 Super Multi - DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM drive - Serial ATA - 48x (CD) / 16x (DVD) 48x (CD) / 20x (DVD±R) / 12x (DVD-R DL) / 16x (DVD+R DL) 32x (CD) / 6x (DVD-RW) / 8x (DVD+RW) / 12x (DVD-RAM) - Internal - Black

-- Drive is recognized by Windows 7 (can be seen in Explorer and Device Manager)
-- BIOS will recognize discs and prompt for booting (should the disc be a boot disc)
-- I have tried removing the Upper and LowerFilters in the registry; NEITHER value existed when I searched for them
-- I have uninstalled the drive, both physically and via device manager
-- I have run Devcon to determine the parameters of the drive; this is the resulting information:
IDE\CDROMHL-DT-ST_DVD-RAM_GH22NS30_________________1.02____\5&F23758A&0& 1.0.0
Name: HL-DT-ST DVD-RAM GH22NS30 ATA Device
Setup Class: {4d36e965-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318} CDROM
Controlling Service:
cdrom
1 matching device(s) found.
-- Have verified that both the power and data cables ARE seated properly
-- Have updated the firmware (from version 0 to 1, and then 1 to 2); issues existed in every firmware upgrade

Another firmware upgrade has been released and can be downloaded here: LG GH22NS30 Firmware Downloads - Firmware HQ

I read the 'Read me' and it seems this upgrade improves 'readability'...

Hi
I have the LG GGC H20L BD/HD-DVD/DVD rewriter and I have experienced no probs. Win 7 RC 64Bit recognized the drive
and installed necessary drivers without any intervention from me. I have other probs not related to drives. Freezing on USB insertions and when running some apps and random freezing when on-line which require a hard re-start.

Stransky

Back