Windows 7 Long delay connecting to share

Mike Kauspedas

This is more of an annoyance but when I initially try to connect to a share on my network it takes about 30 -60 seconds. For example, when I go to \\1.1.1.1\c$ or even \\netbiosname\sharename it will take 30-60 seconds to connect. It will connect and after that everything is fast and reconnecting is quick as well. I can ping the computer with the share during that time. I've tried using the netbios name and the IP. Network is simple, all Gb. Anyone else seen this and is there a fix for it? Thanks!

Usually the product of some overzealous third party firewall or other such security suite on either or both machines. Once they've exhausted the hand shake and determined how the exchange will be handled then everything moves along pretty well.
When you become annoyed enough, consider uninstalling any such third party product using the products uninstaller if available or the programs and features applet in the control panel and follow that up with the vendor specific proprietary removal tool, a list of which can be found here Security Software | SingularLabs
Replace with only MSE from here Link Removed due to 404 Error and the native Windows 7 firewall product (you may need to turn it back on) and test.

Thanks for the info, but all I'm running is the built in firewall and MSE. In fact, I have a rule for incoming and outgoing for my local subnet and /24 to allow all. That rule is on both computers.

Could it be related to having a workgroup? Since I don't actually have a DNS server running or wins ... but then again I can ping the netbios name so I don't think it's a delay in resolving it.

Could it be related to having a workgroup? Since I don't actually have a DNS server running or wins ... but then again I can ping the netbios name so I don't think it's a delay in resolving it.
On both computers;
Double check the network adapters being used and make sure that netBIOS over TCP/IP is enabled in the properties of IPv4. Disable IPv6 for the time being. Launch the Services Console (services.msc) and make sure that the NetBIOS Helper service is running and set to automatic.
And no a workgroup shouldn't have any impact one way or the other. And there should be no need for any additional inbound or outbound firewall rules on the Windows 7 Firewall, as a matter of fact adding superfluous rules that need to be parsed unnecessarily can have a negative impact.

Back
Top Bottom