Windows 10 Looking for Win 10 workaround help

TBotNik

All,

Computer shop here! Customer brought in a Win 10 gaming box. We have a 20 page book on howto work around issues that block you from fixing a PC. This box is so infected, external peek into the drive gave "Unsafe Windows drive". Login to the box gives total freeze-up without even a cursor.

Login from flash, we normally can bypass the user at bootup with:

rename c:\windows\system32\osk.exe to osk.old ,
then copy cmd.exe to osk.exe,
then reboot and hit the osk icon getting cmd window,
The issue the net user command to create a new admin user and login from there.

but all on this machine produce "access not granted" errors. Tried all the other processes in our "Book of Tricks" no success!

I'm aware, I used to own it back in floppy/CD days, of a hack (would be bootable flash now) that basically does the same thing from flash that the osk rename process does, but allows you to boot as admin and create the new admin user directly.

I'm not finding that in searches, so would appreciate links to where I can download it.

Only other option is a new install, but that will destroy all games and user data. Customer bringing this in does not want a fresh install. Cannot backup as I told you the error I'm getting mounting this drive externally.

All help advise appreciated!

Cheers!

TBNK

It should connect just fine to another computer, at that point the malware is just data on a drive and can't actively infect another system unless you load the malware. If you're getting a "NTFS partition is in an unsafe state" then I'm assuming you're trying to mount this on a Linux system. If that's the case you'll need to run chkdsk on the drive first which there are available utilities in Linux. You could also use Hiren to create another account or access the disk and run whatever malware scanning utilities you prefer.

Back
Top Bottom