Lost hard drive space

Discussion in 'Windows 10 Upgrade and Installation' started by eddard, Aug 11, 2015.

1. eddard

eddard Active Member

Hi all. I have installed Windows 10 with very few problems (other than the learning curve), however, the free space on the hard drive is now 20GB smaller than before the upgrade from Windows 8.1.

Poking around, I discovered that there is what appears to be a "backup" folder of 20GB within the windows folder. Is this normal, and what happens if I remove that folder?

2. Snowflake24694

Yes, it's normal. If you type 'storage' into your Search you will find exactly how much space on the disk each program hold. At the end of the list you will see 'Temporary files'. When you click on it you will see that 20GB is a backup of the previous version of your Windows OS (Windows 8.1) and it says you can delete it right away or it will be deleted in a month. It's there just in case if you change your mind and want to go back to your previous OS.

3. maybe

maybe Well-Known Member

Does this have any advantage/disadvantage over an image backup you make yourself to an external hdd before the upgrade?

4. ussnorway

ussnorway Windows Forum Team
    Staff Member Premium Supporter

No... a backup image is better in every case.

5. eddard

eddard Active Member

That is what I thought, and thanks for the response. I think I may do a backup image "just in case".

6. maybe

maybe Well-Known Member

Besides your image backup stays available for much longer (until you delete it) than the 30 day restore option the W10 update provides.