Windows 10 Lost sound after crash

masdjgurhent

Basically what happened, computer froze when I moved mouse to get out of screen saver. I waited around 5 to 10 minutes, tried to open Task Manager but it was still frozen. Ended up holding down the power button to force shut down.

When I started the computer again, I had no sound through headphones (tried multiple) and no sound from the computer's speaker itself.

My sound was not muted. I did the windows diagnostic but no success. I reinstalled my audio drivers, no success, I tried a system restore and after an hour of "system restoring" I got an error saying it can't be done and hence nothing has been changed.

Assuming its a software issue, the only idea I have left is to re install windows. Is there anything besides that which might fix the problem? Thanks.

Have you tried restoring a Restore Point from before?

From Start of bottom left of the screen > System > Control Panel.
Once in the control panel type "system restore" in the search box.
In next window you see "Create a restore point", that is the one you need, follow the steps in "System restore"

thanks for sharing the trouble-shooting you have already done, masdjgurhent … well done on that account.

okay … so what is your medium? youtube or cnn-news(internet)? dvd in drive? mp4 in usb? many of the mediums have their own volume controls … as a result, the volume may be maxed-up within your computer … but could be maxed-down within youtube (or dvd-player, real-audio, flash, etc.).

aside from the "volume" sitting within system-tray, masdjgurhent … there's also a "system-volume" which should open an interface which correlates with your sound-driver ("pc-settings" … type "sound" in search-field … "show all results" … "adjust system volume").

the sound driver, itself, also hosts it's own feature-packed interface which you might scope out.

windows "services" mandates a service labeled "windows audio" which can augment the audio capabilities.

before closing … i'd like to caution you, masdjgurhent. since the system-restore points no longer work … i'd suggest to disable system-restore and then re-enable by creating new restore-point … label it as "trouble-shooting windows-sound" or similar. this is to be done immediately. in the event you isolate the issue and the sound returns … create another and label "sound returned".

additionally, if you are seriously contemplating to reinstall win-os, masdjgurhent … make sure you back up your personal files … even if you decide on the "less invasive" refresh, reset, restore variants. people occasionally get ahead of themselves … invariably wiping everything from the drive. oh … and don't forget the browser's history/bookmarks/passwords*** … as these also are crucial.

i have attached a number of screen-caps as courtesy for you … as follows:

huh06.pnghuh04.pnghuh05.pnghuh07.pnghuh03_edit.png

*** personally speaking … i would suggest you print out the passwords for temporary placation/conciliation. once the reinstall has been successful … you might discover the browser did not back up your passwords. having a printed copy allows you to breathe sigh of relief. however … you must shred the printed list once you are satisfied with your new system.

Last edited:
thanks for sharing the trouble-shooting you have already done, masdjgurhent … well done on that account.

okay … so what is your medium? youtube or cnn-news(internet)? dvd in drive? mp4 in usb? many of the mediums have their own volume controls … as a result, the volume may be maxed-up within your computer … but could be maxed-down within youtube (or dvd-player, real-audio, flash, etc.).

aside from the "volume" sitting within system-tray, masdjgurhent … there's also a "system-volume" which should open an interface which correlates with your sound-driver ("pc-settings" … type "sound" in search-field … "show all results" … "adjust system volume").

the sound driver, itself, also hosts it's own feature-packed interface which you might scope out.

windows "services" mandates a service labeled "windows audio" which can augment the audio capabilities.

before closing … i'd like to caution you, masdjgurhent. since the system-restore points no longer work … i'd suggest to disable system-restore and then re-enable by creating new restore-point … label it as "trouble-shooting windows-sound" or similar. this is to be done immediately. in the event you isolate the issue and the sound returns … create another and label "sound returned".

additionally, if you are seriously contemplating to reinstall win-os, masdjgurhent … make sure you back up your personal files … even if you decide on the "less invasive" refresh, reset, restore variants. people occasionally get ahead of themselves … invariably wiping everything from the drive. oh … and don't forget the browser's history/bookmarks/passwords*** … as these also are crucial.

i have attached a number of screen-caps as courtesy for you … as follows:

*** personally speaking … i would suggest you print out the passwords for temporary placation/conciliation. once the reinstall has been successful … you might discover the browser did not back up your passwords. having a printed copy allows you to breathe sigh of relief. however … you must shred the printed list once you are satisfied with your new system.

I have done pretty much everything you said, except the windows re install.

I am starting to believe this may be a hardware problem? Such as damage to the sound card itself. Of course, I should try the windows reinstall before I come to this conclusion but backing up everything is gonna be a pain so I'm holding that off for now.

Edit: My sound gave away around 2 months ago or so but my built in webcam microphone still worked (as it was picking up sound in the recording devices settings). A few days ago however, I noticed that the microphone has stopped working as well. Just letting you know this, in case it has any significance.

Last edited:
I would download and create a bootable usb of a Linux distro such as Ubuntu. Boot into that and test sound. If it works you know it's not a hardware problem. I would also run dxdiag from the run dialog box and verify everything is copacetic there.

Back